Diatoms wont' go away

grovetsly

Hey guys,
The diatoms in my 46 gallon tank won't go away. My tank is 2 1/2 mos old. Cycled now. I use RO water for top off.
Here are the parameters.
Ph 8.2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.5
Salinity. 1.026
What am I doing wrong?

grovetsly

I've got about 10 small hermit crabs, 2 serpeant star fish, 2 emerald crab, 4 nerites snails. Do you think I need more?

leeleeah

I've heard of diatome but I don't know what it is.....Can you tell me what a diatome is and how to i.d. it in the tank?

m0nk

I would certainly add some turbo/astea snails to the mix, maybe 5-10, and a few nassarius snails. How long have you had these in the tank? Where are you seeing most of your diatom buildup? Turbo astrea snails will help on the rock and glass and the nassarius will help stir up the sand.

grovetsly

To Leeleeah (Marine Lover), Diatoms are often found clinging in great numbers to filamentous algae, or forming gelatinous masses on various submerged plants. If stones in the water have a brown, slippery coating, you can be sure of diatoms. Sometimes the brown coating on sticks and stones is so abundant that it streams out with the current. If rushes and stems of water plants have a brown, gelatinous coating, you are likely to find millions of specimens of the same diatom. The surface mud of a pond, ditch, or lagoon will always yield some diatoms.
The brownish stuff on the rocks and clings to the glass of your DT my friend are diatoms. They make your tank look dirty. It comes from having excessive Phosphates in your tank. As people have suggested, I need to get some cleaner crews, i.e. hermit crabs, snails, starfish and the lilkes.
I've had these diatoms in my tank for about 3 weeks now.

leeleeah

Very interesting and informative too. I've never had that problem with my tank but at least I'll know what to do if it happens. Thanks so much for the info.