Diatoms?

weasertt

SO I was told that the brown stuff on my sand is Diatoms. Can I get a chemical to kill it or what do I do? WIll hermit crabs or something like that eat it? It really looks unattractive in the tank and I wanna get rid of it ASAP. Any help is appreciated

viet-tin

Itll go away over time. Hows your water parameters? Type of light? filtration? Maybe we can find a way to get rid of them faster.

viet-tin

forgot to ask how long has your tank been set up and how old are your bulbs and what type of water are you using?

weasertt

im using a basic fluorescent light that came with the tank. Its been set up for about 8 weeks. The guy at the pet store said all my levels were ok. At one time my nitrates were high but then I installed a Protein skimmer and that seemed to have leveled off. Could it be the lighting?

sergeant

Your tank is a new set-up. It is normal to have algae breakout while the tank matures. Be pacient, it pays off at the end.

C

cowpoke

The diatoms will subside in a few days
Then if yours is like mine was then you get the nice green algae
and maybe a little cyano
But with paitence they all will subside

viet-tin

I dont think you would like cyano...itll take over your tank...When your tank matures a little or when your parameters are in line then you should get a clean up crew. They will aid you on keeping your sand clean.