diatoms

njbluefish

How do I get rid of the diatoms that are in my tank? My tank just cycled two weeks ago. I have added some turbo snails and a three sally light foot's to clean up some of the diatoms. Any suggestions would be great.

njbluefish

65 Gal
Fluval 304
400 Skilter
25 lbs. LS
25 lbs. sand
40 lbs. dead coral
Fish
10 Damsels
2 Hermits
10 Snails
2 pep. shrimp
3 Salley Light Foot's

acez28

its a never ending battle. They will always come back. But peeps around here say use RO/DI water to help with it. I live in Memphis, Tn and i use the tap water here and i maybe, and thats a big MAYBE have to clean the diatoms off the glass once every 3-4weeks. Even then its not enuff that its a big problem. I only have 5 snails so i know they arent cleanin the glass that well plus i would see "snail trails". I dont know maybe we have good water here but its workin fine so far.

cboyfan2020

diatoms feed on silicates found in the water supply. Every tank has diatoms for the first few months with it tapering off at about 5-6 months. Use ro/di water and put in a phosphate filter pad to curb their growth. After there are no more silicates you will start to get green algae which is almost as hard to keep control of but thats the reef life and snails and tangs do a much better job of controlling the green algae.HTH

njbluefish

Thanks for the info.....I leave my light on for 10hrs. a day. Is this a problem..........Ocean sun for 10 hrs. and then I switch to the black light at night.

NJbluefish... If you don't have a source for RO/DI water, let me know. I'm in bridgewater and don't mind making some for a fellow SW fan. I'm in the process of cycling the tank as well. I have no live stock, but I'm going to buy alot of LR in about two weeks. Then things should kick off. Are you going to do a reef of FO tank? Good to see I have a close neighbor that's into SW tanks.