Did I kill all of my corals??

farnorth

I turned off the powerstrip last night to feed the corals in my qt tank and forgot to turn it back on ... so therefore forgot also to turn back on the heater and now it is down to 62 degrees :scared: :scared: :scared:
I have in the qt tank a 30 head of candy cane, cabbage, a ricordea and about 8 mushrooms. :help: :help:
Has anyone seen corals get this cold and survive? It has been about 24 hours. Do they get this cold during shipping sometime and make it????

bluemantr

my corals survived 67 deg. for 12 hours. But i think its hard to say what will survive . I hope you wont lose anything. Good luck

farnorth

thanks for the advice on the temp increase, that is what I was thinking. I almost did an immediate warm water change and decided just to turn the heater and and it slowly warmed the tank up over about 6 hours.
This morning I don't see any changes with the candy cane, so it looks completely normal.... but?
All of the mushrooms look normal and are open.
the cabbage looks normal.
the ricordea is looking a little better, but has some "ooze" coming out of the middle and looks still almost a little "rotten"
I really wanted this one to make it.
I will keep you all posted, just in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

farnorth

Everything still looks ok, except for the ricordea.
It looks like a big pile of slime with some of its original color still and is in the shape of a mushroom. Anyone have experience? I know it sounds dead and gone, but again there is some of its original color and shape and it still looks attatched to the rock?
Anyone?

sergeant

Unfortunatelly it is on her way out. Ricordeas are like anemonies, once they spill their guts out thats it for them.

farnorth

Yup!! It is a goner, pulled it out of the tank before it polluted the whole thing. So I guess moral of the story for anyone else that has their water drop for a while, mushrooms are super hardy and cabbage and candy cane's look like they hold up pretty well also