Did I make a big mistake?

fastlane13

I just bought a little cowfish at my lfs, about 1 1/2 in and acclimated him to my tank. I have seen him getting close to a few corals, but not really nipping at them and eating these clearlike things that are growing on the rock. It is a 55 gal with a yellow tang, firefish, and purple pseudochromis. Are they reef safe? I know he will outgrow my tank, but i plan on giving him to a friend with a 300 gal fo tank in a couple years. Can you give me advice?

dogstar

No, there not really reef safe. Do you know what kind of cowfish it is? Do you know that they can release toxins in to the water that can wipe out the tank. They scare easy so be carefull.

ophiura

No barrel rolls are not normal, and may indicate that the flow is too much for him to control swimming. They do better in tanks designed with lower flow. Really not, IMO, a fish to put in a tank not designed for them.

guineawhop

very bad idea to get this guy, bring him back. do you like the fish and corals you have now, if yes, take him back

fastlane13

He seems to be doing fine now though. He's eating well and getting along with everyone. No more barrel rolls yet. And i thought they were hard to scare?