Did I make the right camera choice??

big

OK I am finally replacing my Olympus C-4000 4 meg camera after years of really good service with no complaints. But it just can not do what I am seeing in shots today............
So while camera shopping for a new Nikon D-60 or 90 I ended up buying the Cannon XSI 12 meg and a couple of lenses................................
The new Nikon 90 was just a bit more than the wife was happy with (or me either.) Plus I found out my very old (60's) Nikkor and Nickkormat lenses no longer work on the newer stuff........Also I just liked the feel and LCD screen better on the new Cannon than the Nikon, yet I still feel somewhat like abandoning an old friend with the Nikon name.
So in the range of cameras out there in the not too expensive field, was the Cannon XSI - 12 a good choice??????? Thanks..... Warren
PS now if she would just let me use it before Chrismas!!!

oceanlover

Canon and Nikon dominate the SLR digital market currently. The thing they have in common is the stabilization within the lens (which is very nice but does make the lenses a bit pricey). It will take a little bit of time for you to adapt to the new camera but I'm guessing you are going to LOVE it!
So what lenses did you get?

maxalmon

Most people will tell you to that how the camera "feels" in your hand is important and I would agree. Both Nikon and Cannon are great cameras and the technical differences are minor. Most will say that the controls on the Nikon are easier to navigate vs Cannon's.
It's Ok if you moved over to the darkside, we Nikon people will forgive you

nitschke65

Well personally, I think it was a brilliant choice! I've never seen an entry level dslr so highly rated, even by pros! I shoot with a 20d and am trying to decide which camera to upgrade to (40d or 50d) I came across the Xsi and am now considering getting one as my back up body. I'm not a pro, I just try to spend money on camera gear so my fis thank doesn't get too big!

big

Thanks guys, The starter lenses I now have are:
ef-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS,that came with it,and the IS ef-s 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
I may need a more suited Macro, but according to the wife, I will have to wait till after Christmas (when I get to use it) to find out

natclanwy

Congrats on the new Camera!!

That should be a great camera for you big, I've been shooting with canon for 15yrs and never had any issues. The controls on a canon are pretty simple so I think it has more to do with what you are used to, going from a point and shoot to a DSLR changes everything anyway so either way the controls will be foriegn for a while. Like Maxalmon said its more important to like the feel of the camera in your hand than anything, with lens choices being the next deciding factor which these days there isn't much difference between the choices from nikon or canon both have a pretty broad selection to cover all your needs.
I've seen some pretty great tank shot with the 18-55mm kit lens so you'll just have to try it out and see what you think. You won't get the awsome macros that I've seen maxalmon posting lately but they should be every bit as good as your olympus might have to do some cropping but you'll be able to do that now without much loss in quality.
Also do some reading on shooting in RAW mode thats probably the best feature on a DSLR after the larger sensor size, it allows you to correct for many lighting and setting issues without degrading the quality of your image too much.

big

Thanks I have been looking at the image work using RAW. It does look to give better overall quality. Now at is just an issue of the wifie allowing me to take it out of the box before Christmas!

jeanheckle

Got the same camera about a month ago and I love it. Next on my list is a macro lense. You'll be really happy with it.

oceanlover

Hey Big,
Anticipation is part of the fun of getting a great Christmas gift! If you had unlimited funds and could buy ANYTHING you wanted, you'd be jaded and not enjoy things as much. (I know what you're thinking, "Give me a chance to prove her wrong.")
Maybe you could talk your wife into letting you have just the Instruction Manual so that you can read it before you get your hands on the camera.
Also, you need to think of some really nice Christmas presents for your wife. She was agreat Santa this year and you should be too!
OceanLover

big

Believe me the "Boss" wants for nothing......If she wants it she buys it
LOL............

And yes I am too looking at the Macros out there, I think my first will be the
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Compact Macro unless one of you all have a better choice idea??. I see them on sleezeybay for a lot less than the list is on them......
My biggest grip is how much the good photoshop stuff cost......

I am not sure if a program my brother loaded for me written by Microcrap will do what I want it to do for editing and working with RAW.?? I will just wait and see.........I will know for sure after Christmas............

natclanwy

Because of the lenses you already have I would go with the Canon 100mm EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus instead both lenses are similar in price ~$450 new. The 100mm will allow you to be a little further away to take 1:1 (life size) macro shots which is handy in an aquarium. You can always get further away but you can't get any closer than the glass will allow.
For photo editing get Adobe Photoshop Elements, it has all of the most commonly used features of Photoshop Pro and is about 1/6 the price. I think you can pick it up at Walmart for less than $100 and I have seen it online at times for about $80. Elements is by far the best editing software I have used, for the most part I prefer it over the Pro version the controls are much simpler and faster for me to use. I really like the photo organizer software that is included with it also.
As far as working with RAW, The Canon Digital Photo professional software that came with your camera is really good for working with adjusting the RAW files then you can use Elements to edit them or you can use Elements for both it does a pretty fair job working with the RAW images also.

big

Thanks alot for the help!!
I will be looking for that software too!!!!! Warren

maxalmon

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2856077
Thanks I have been looking at the image work using RAW. It does look to give better overall quality. Now at is just an issue of the wifie allowing me to take it out of the box before Christmas!

You could always take the camera out of the box, then re-wrap the box and put it back under the tree, then right before x-mas simply put the camera back into the box and act really shocked and happy when you open it

Just make sure to use the same wrapping paper or a really sharp exacto knife to cut thru the tape....

big

Originally Posted by maxalmon
http:///forum/post/2858078
You could always take the camera out of the box, then re-wrap the box and put it back under the tree, then right before x-mas simply put the camera back into the box and act really shocked and happy when you open it

Just make sure to use the same wrapping paper or a really sharp exacto knife to cut thru the tape....
Sounds like a plan!!!!!! But being that the Wife had worked for the last 20 years in one of the largest prison complexes in the east I think she would catch the ploy .........She would have me in there next if I tried.........