Did my tank cycle already? (and I missed it! )

dennish

I set up my 46gal marine tank 16 days ago, added 3 damsels 14 days ago, and 14lb live rock and 3 crabs 12 days ago. I have been testing Ammonia and nitrites every 2-4 days with no discernable (i.e. 0) levels, today I thought I would also check the nitrates since it has been so long, and they showed up at 5. From all I've read the nitrates are the last to go up, so I didn't bother checking them until I saw the spike and fall of the Ammonia and Nitrites respectively. Can they rise and fall that fast that I could have missed them? I'm new to this, but it seems that with 3 fish, 3 inverts, plus the live rock and whatever is in there- I should be seeing SOME ammonia by now. I set up the tank for a Porcupine Puffer and maybe a Clown Trigger, but I don’t want to start adding my "real" fish until the tank is ready. I would sure appreciate the opinion of those of you who have "been there and done that".
Thanks.
Oh, also the SG is a little low today at 1.020+, should I raise it, how slowly?
[This message has been edited by DennisH (edited 04-25-2000).]

porkypuffer

A PORCUPINE PUFFER AND CLOWN TRIGGER WILL CONCIDER THE DAMSELS AND CRABS LUNCH. IT'S A LITTLE ODD THAT YOU COULD HAVE MISSED THE CYCLE. I'D WAIT A WEEK OR TWO. I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT THE SALINITY, MY LFS KEEPS THEIR'S AT 1.017, 1.020 SOUNDS FINE TO ME. SALINITY IS ONE THING THAT NEARLY EVERYONE IN THIS HOBBY HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION ABOUT, THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP IT CONSTANT, ALTHOUGH, IF KEPT TOO LOW WILL KILL LIVE ROCK, CORALS AND INVERTS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW TANK. ONE LAST THING, A 46 GAL. TANK MAY BE A LITTLE SMALL FOR A PUFFER AND CLOWN TRIGGER ONCE THEY GROW. GOOD EXCUSE TO UPGRADE LATER.

mainejo1

Same thing happened to me, I missed the whole cycle! I think live rock helps tremendously. I did wait till after my sixth week to add the rest of the family, though. Be sure to add your new fish slowly, like two weeks between additions. i addded mine too quickly, and struggled to keep my nitrates under control for a couple of weeks. Enjoy!!

dennish

I agree , and will wait another week "just to be sure" it has cycled. If I decide to return my Damsels before I get my Puffer, I was wondering what the normal practice is... Does the LFS give you credit ($) toward a purchase, or just "take them back". If they pay for them, what percent of the original price do they allow toward a new purchase? I realise that eash store my have its own policy, but I am curious as to want the "norm" is.

fishgirl

At my LFS I am about to take a domino damsel and humbug damsel back to the store, and get half of the price they will sell them for towards a Niger Trigger that I've been wanting.

clayton

I would wait a month until you consider the tank mature. A level of 5ppm Nitrate after 16 days is a concern! Check you tap water. As far as salinity goes, check what is is in the area your fish come from and maintain it at that.
A 46 gallon tank is too small to keep a trigger and puffer fish for long.

fishgirl

Clayton, what are ya talking about? It is my understanding that a juvi clown trigger and small porky puffer would do fine in the 46gal as long as they were the only inhabitants, b/c they won't grow bigger than thier tank allows them, and if by chance they do, it won't happen so fast that you can't just use it as an excuse to upgrade. Today at my LFS I saw a very small (1-2") porky puffer that my dealer said would do fine in a 30-GALLON with one other fish for a while!!
Please inform me if there is something I am missing about why they can't live in a 46gal. ??

krazzydart

The problem with your fish guy is tring to make a sale,,,,, fish will grow no matter how big your set-up is!!!! I know from experance....
[

dennish

Originally posted by clayton:
...A level of 5ppm Nitrate after 16 days is a concern! Check you tap water....

I originally set it up using tap water with a generous amount of A.P. Stress Coat to declorinate and condition the water. But after read so many posts here (and elsewhere) on water quality, I ordered the "Tap Water Purifier" by Aquarium Pharmaceudicals. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I'm sure a full fledged RO/DI unit for a few hundred dollars would be better, but my wife's been quite understanding so far with this "obsesion" and I didn't want to push my luck! (this cost only $28 M.O.)
I did my first water change (10% = 5 gallons) today. How much / how often do I need to change out the old water with the purified stuff? Do I need to do a massive water change (80-90%) all at once?

porkypuffer

DON'T EVER DO A MASSIVE WATER CHANGE (80% - 90% )ALL AT ONCE. JUST DO YOUR NORMAL 10% - 20% WATER CHANGES EVERY 2 TO 3 WEEKS.

porkypuffer

THE FISH THAT I HAD TO RETURN WAS A LARGH YELLOW TANG. I PAID $18 AT ONE STORE WHICH STOPPED CARRING FISH, SO I TOOK THE TANG TO ANOTHER LFS WHICH SAID " HOW DOES $20 SOUND", DIDN'T TAKE ME LONG TO SAY "OK"

dennish

Originally posted by Paul:
...in order to tell whether your tank has cycled is, (besides the ammo, nitrates, nitrites) is the production of green algae...

I am getting some brown algee: on the sand, a few spots on the glass, and on my 6# base rock. I was more excited to notice that the base rock is starting to grow some (coriline?) purple algee! It must have picked it up from my 8# fiji live rock. I am thinking about going back to the LFS in Lansing where I got my live rock, and getting another one or two more. Does this sound ok? (I also do have some green algee growing on the Fiji, its been there for a week or two.)

dennish

Originally posted by Paul:
...I'd still wait til your nitrate level goes down before adding more expensive fish...

It was my understanding that the nitates are the last to go up, and that they don't go down except with water changes (or expensive denitrafiers which I don't have).
Am I wrong about this???
Also the currant levels today are Ammonia=0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate=5 pH=8.2, the same as befor my 10% Water change. And the brown algee is getting worse, (when) do I need to start worring about this or doing something about it?
Thanks- Dennis

porkypuffer

DENNIS: YOUR LEVELS SOUND GOOD, THE BROWN ALGEE COULD BE CAUSED BY THE AQUARIUM LIGHT BEING ON TOO LONG. I USE A TIMER FOR MY LIGHTS, ONE OF THOSE CHEEP ONES THAT COST UNDRE $10. SET IT TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON FOR A MAX. OF TEN HOURS, LESS IF THE ALGEE PERSIS. PAUL'S RIGHT, BE PATIENT, AND DON'T ADD TOO MENY, TOO QUICKLY.
PAUL: PORCUPINE PUFFERS GROW TO 8-10 INCHES. THEY EAT ANYTHING THAT WILL FIT IN THEIR MOUTH (INVERTS, CORALS, FINGERS )MEATY FOODS, I FEED MINE FEEDER GOLD FISH. THEY ARE HARTY, FRIENDLY AND PEACEFUL UNLESS AFTER FOOD. I HAVE MINE IN A 55 GAL. TANK WITH A FOXFACE, PICASSO TRIGGER, AND A CORAL BEAUTY. NEVER ANY FIGHTS, BUT WHEN THE PUFFER CLAIMS THE FOOD, THE OTHERS DON'T CHALLENGE.
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 04-29-2000).]
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 04-29-2000).]