Did you ever cry because your fish died?

oceankid

Honestly, I didn't cry when my first oscar died. I don't know why, but every time I lost one of my pets, I usually cry, but when my O died, I didn't...I felt so sad about that and easily moved on...
How about you? How do you feel when one of your fish die?

mylady

When I was in high school I had bettas and would cry when one of them died. Maybe I'm just overly emotional. My sister had to pry my dead guinea pig out of my hands. I had been holding her crying until rigamortis set in. I had a black moor goldfish that also passed and i cried when I lost him. So far in our tank we have lost two fish from being eaten, but I did not cry. I think if we lost Larry, my snail, I would probably be very upset. I love that little guy.

mproctor4

Just because you don't hold them doesn't mean that you don't have an emotional attachment to them. You definately can feel bad about the circumstances that they died under.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/383566/did-you-ever-cry-because-your-fish-died#post_3355693
Just because you don't hold them doesn't mean that you don't have an emotional attachment to them. You definately can feel bad about the circumstances that they died under.
Feel bad, sure...but cry or emotionally breakdown. No. Or I should say not usually. A woman has a misscarriage, they usually cry...the father feels bad, but doesn't experience the same emotional trauma. Why? The father never held the baby, the mother carried it and had physically bonded. The same goes for our pets...those we don't physically bond with we don't feel the emotional breakdown for when they pass on. Feel bad, sure...Just like we feel bad when we hear someone was murdered or died in the news...

btldreef

I cried when I lost my Orange Spotted Filefish that I had worked so hard to get healthy. I think I cried more over the fact that after all that work, she died over something stupid and completely out of my control.
I cried when I gave away my large Sailfin tang last month as well. She was very sickly when we bought her and I nursed her back to health. She ate of my hand, etc, but started to bully the other fish in my tank, so she had to go.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/383566/did-you-ever-cry-because-your-fish-died#post_3355716
I cried when I lost my Orange Spotted Filefish that I had worked so hard to get healthy. I think I cried more over the fact that after all that work, she died over something stupid and completely out of my control.
I cried when I gave away my large Sailfin tang last month as well. She was very sickly when we bought her and I nursed her back to health. She ate of my hand, etc, but started to bully the other fish in my tank, so she had to go.
Need to rephrase my comment, maybe physically bonding isn't all it is, nurturing an animal or person while sick will also create the bond.

F

fishhugger

When I was 10, I cried because my 'fair game' gold fish died....I had him in a glass bowl, and then my grandpa found an old 2g hex tank in the attic. I filled it up and put it in there...the water was looking a little cloudy, so I dumped it and filled it up again, then put the fish back in there....lather rinse repeat....it died overnight >.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/383566/did-you-ever-cry-because-your-fish-died#post_3355717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/thread/383566/did-you-ever-cry-because-your-fish-died#post_3355716
Need to rephrase my comment, maybe physically bonding isn't all it is, nurturing an animal or person while sick will also create the bond.
I think your right. I cried when I put down the seahorses I treated for 4 months. Daily water changes, medicating, putting medicine on the tail twice a day, flushing it's pouch with medicine, reading reading reading.... going to very expensive vets.... and then on their birthday (I raised them) I had to put them in MS-222 and put them "to sleep". I cried.
I cried when my tank crashed just as we we coming home from getting married in Canada. It was tough to see our 8 year fish struggling and dying. There was no time to figure anything out.... everything was just dying. I just looked and cried.
But there is NO comparison to to our other furry friends.

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/383566/did-you-ever-cry-because-your-fish-died#post_3355715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4
http:///forum/thread/383566/did-you-ever-cry-because-your-fish-died#post_3355693
Feel bad, sure but have an emotional breakdown. No. Or I should say not usually. A woman has a misscarriage, they usually cry...the father feels bad, but doesn't experience the same emotional trauma. Why? The father never held the baby, the mother carried it and had physically bonded. The same goes for our pets...those we don't physically bond with we don't feel the emotional breakdown for when they pass on. Feel bad, sure...Just like we feel bad when we hear someone was murdered or died in the news...
Many, many fathers cry and experience very real emotional trauma, it may be different but still just as traumatic. I understand what you are saying about the physical bond but still believe there can be a bond with our water pets. Do your fish know you? Of coarse they do. Our fish come out as soon as we walk within their line of vision, obviously they know we provide them with food, but they often just watch us and some do seek out attention. They don't come out for strangers so they obviously recognize us.
When my tank crashed a few months back, I lost 8 fish. I was too sick over it to cry.