differance between reef and saltwater?

movadoman21

hello i was looking for some salt water fish for my new tank i am a newbie to saltwater fish and i seen something like for reef - tank only or for fish only? whats the differance and does any one know where can i get small sting rays from?
thank you
:confused:

T

thomas712

Welcome to the board :)
Whether it says reef or for fish only you will find that many trust Instant Ocean salt or Reef Crystals for all there saltwater tanks.
Thomas

michaeltx

reef---- means it has corals and inverts such as starfish shrimp and crabs.
Fish only-- means that it is mainly for fish that would normally not be kept with inverts and corals. most that are kept like this will eat corals or inverts.
as far as the ray unless you have a large tank then its not a good idea for one. most of them get rather large to large for aquariums.
FW rays stay smaller though.
also with rays you dont want any or very little LR for it to cut itself on and most fish will pick on them. also they dont like bright lighting. interesting critters though. maybe someone else can elaborate a little more I have never had one but was thinking about it a few years ago.
HTH
Mike

ocellaris_keeper

I just saw another posint gasking the same question and I still contend that without perfect water conditions, a 300-500 gal tank and fine sand substrate you're simply going to kill it.

sammystingray

I have to agree on the stingray issue....if they are you favorite thing, then plan on a large tank, or go with freshwater which look pretty much the same, but stay smaller.....such as teacup rays. A yellow stingray is the only ray I would even consider keeping, and they still need atleast a 125 gallon tank or larger. If you are planning on a large tank, then yellows are the way to go. Better looking rays available such as a blue spot are too delicate in my opinion, and are just asking for failure for a person new to the hobby. If you are wondering the differemnce between a saltwater tank and a reef tank....basically anything considered a reef tank must be kept in a way that will allow corals and such to live.....lighting, levels, etc.....a fish only tank is an easier start, but I wouldn't start with any stingrays.