different kinds of clowns in the same tank?

dima96

i was wondering if anyone has had any luck keeping different kinds of clowms in the same tank and if so what kinds? i was thinking about trying it but wanted some advice.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet with clownfish is to buy a mated pair, and, perhaps get them to breed. Otherwise, get juveniles, all of the same species, and let them grow up together. You will probably have some causalties.

You can do it with the more peaceful clowns in a medium sized tank, around 55 gallons, it just depends on the fish. In general, peaceful ones like the skunks and percs can go together, but don't mix clarkiis, tomatos, maroons, etc, the more agressive clowns. Also if you have a pair of clowns do not have another type of clown in the tank or another pair and they will definitely not get along.

N

newreefers

I have heard of people doing this but with certain conditions:
very large tank 180+ so they have their own space
both species of clowns being the least aggressive type (not maroon or tomato)
both being very small and added at the same time
according to the book by joyce wilkerson, it just isn't a good idea overall.
I know I wanted different types of clowns myself and ended up getting multiple tanks in order to have them.:)

The idiot at the lFS told me they wouldnt work, and I have 2 percs and a tomatoe and they et along great. I also have a less crowded 72 gallon tank.

jake22

I was able to mix to in my 26 gallon. They barely fight. I also have an anenome for each. The clowns i mixed were a small tamatoe and a big black perc.

fshhub

It is NOT a good idea, and normally fails, not always right away, but evenetually
sometimes they do fine for months, or even a year or so, until they get bigger, but disaster is often waiting.
Large tanks, sometimes do help to prevent this.
there is even a member who had posted photos of his sharing an anemone, but That is NOT the norm. And in no way should be counted on. It is only a probable disaster waiting to happen, but is sometimes(rarely) avoided.

tkblazer

best way would to get less aggressive clowns and introduce them into the tank at the same time. if they're small that would help a lot since they will grow up together and learn to deal with eachother. i had a tomato with 2 false percs and the tomato never really bothered the percs, until one day he kept chasing one of them.

tahoe ocean

I was told that I couldn't do it and make it work, but I have a Tomato (Scetti) and a false perc (Bobo). Bobo is almost 4 years old now and Scetti is nearing 2. They are both aquacutlured (tank bred) and I got them as juvis. These may help being that they aren't like wild captures who know what they are supposed to behave like. I want to get a maroon but am too chicken to push my luck.