Different types of LR

mr. tang

OK, what is the difference between, Fiji, Marshall Island, Happia, Gulf and Tonga branch LR. Obviously they all come from different places, but is thier a difference in density or shape? I am sure that being from different places their is a lot of bio-diversity, but is that it? Any help would be appriciated. :confused:

I only have experience with fiji rock. That's what I use. I think fiji is the best for tanks because it is less dense then others (I think). This allows more room inside the rock for the "good" bacteria to grow and flourish. I also think it looks the nicest when put in the tank. Lots of little knoocks and crannies for your corals and critters.
peace
doug

sonny

Most live rock you get today is from the pacific, as Florida banned collection. Most of the live rock is from Fiji, which is a vast area. These others are newer collection areas, some very remote, so you may see different life on them. The "branch" rock is dead staghorn branch corals with coralline algae and stuff growing on it. The real problem with that type is that they often get broken in shipment, so you end up with a box of rubble. "Shelf" rock has very flat pieces, they almost look like pieces of slate. Any of these types you mentioned will be excellent for a reef tank, and you'll be paying a little more for some. Generally, the premium cost gets you a little better amount of life on the rocks, and hopefully total coverage with good coralline algae.
Sonny

bassmaster

In my experience, Marshall Island rock looks better (more holes and such), but Fiji rock as way more stuff on it, like algae, and sometimes plants or mini anenomies. But that's my opinion. :D