Digis and montipora question

A

alexmir

I recently traded some lps for 2 orange digi frags, a purple digi, and an idaho grape monti. All of the frags are gorgeous, and was very happy with the trade. I read before considering the trade that digis were medium light coral, and could be kept under compact flourescent if it was at the top of the aquarium. And i read the same thing about the monti.
I am now worried that these corals might stay alive, but may not flourish under these lights. Am i right in thinking this? I am now considering trading thm to someone for something that i can keep under my lights, or just selling them. Thanks fot he help

coral keeper

You have PCs right? I heard that they will be fine under strong PCs and they need to be placed higher up in the tank.

nycbob

its possible to keep them under pc. of course t5 or mh would hv been better. give it a month or 2, and if u see no growth, then trade them away.

A

alexmir

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2602066
its possible to keep them under pc. of course t5 or mh would hv been better. give it a month or 2, and if u see no growth, then trade them away.

Thats what i was thinking. Their really pretty though, and i am hoping they make it fine until i can set up my 180 in dec! if not i can always trade soemone again.

myzislow

Monitpora digitata actually prefer higher levels of light. You may be able to keep them alive under PC, but its likely the colors will not be great(brown) and the growth will be slow. If you have PCs I'd try to get them up as close to the lights as you can. Idaho grape prefers medium to strong lighting as well. Same thing applies, you may be able to keep it alive, but the colors will probably be a little off.

T

tizzo

Take a pic of them tomorrow, then do a color/size comparison in about 3 weeks. Then do that every 3 weeks. If they are fading or not growing then you have your answer.
But you hafta take a pic cause the color/size change is so gradual that you'd never see it.
Your purple grape monti cap will turn brown. I'll let you know that now.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2602791
Your purple grape monti cap will turn brown. I'll let you know that now.

Indeed it will. I recently acquired a very large purple cap that is practically brown, but I saw pics of it one year ago and it was coralline purple... I'm hoping with some TLC under my MH, it will get its beauty back.

A

alexmir

The purple digi has already lost its color, so i know that it will get worse, so sadly i guess i will have to trade it.......they sure were pretty though.

mkzimms

i have 2 orange montipora digitata frags that have been doing great in my 12G aquapod under stock lighting... 1x27w 10000/6000k 1x27w 460nm/420nm PC. one is mid-water and the other is on the sand (approx 13" from the light).

A

alexmir

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2602909
i have 2 orange montipora digitata frags that have been doing great in my 12G aquapod under stock lighting... 1x27w 10000/6000k 1x27w 460nm/420nm PC. one is mid-water and the other is on the sand (approx 13" from the light).
Have they been growing or losing color? or just not dying. I know that they would stay alive, but i want my coral to flourish. I am going to put them for trade in the selling section. Their 2 orange digis, purple digi, and idaho grape coral.

mkzimms

they're growing! ive had them in there for about a month and there is distinguishable growth even in that short time. they're probably not growing like they would under a couple hundred watts of T5 but i have no complaints. i would at least hold onto your orange digi. you can supplement with nightly feedings, i use DT plankton.

T

tizzo

Yeah digitada's are pretty easy. They CAN bleach out, but they are also one of the easiest to care for SPS's...