dinner tonight

ebeckels

If I'm gonna make some seafood fetucini alfredo for dinner tonight and I buy some scallops and shrimp for dinner...could I feed a few to the fish and anemones/corals? Assuming the food is just fresh...I'll buy a few extra scallops and put them in???? Any particular scallop or shrimp good? Pick and peel shrimp? jumbo? Obviously I know not to get fried or pre cooked... I want completely raw...I've never given my tank inhabitants "real" food...only frozen fish food and phytoplankton with an occasional fish pellet or flake...Thank you.

zipperfish

a lady at one of the lfs feeds her fish the real deal. they have a mixed bag of squid, scallops, mussells, and shrimp and its real cheap. she said her fish love it.

ebeckels

do i de-shell the shrimp or will eat the shell too? How many shrimp for a large green carpet anemone...it's leaving tomorow ( i sold it on ----) and i want to give it a good "last supper" :) Also...what is cleaning it real well....washing it in water for a few minutes???

kelly

I personally would remove the shell, and rinsing it with water should be fine. I would only feed it one at a time.

S

sinner's girl

We buy shrimp at wal-mart the small ones. We give them to the hermits, shrimp and stars. The fish have never shown intrest in the raw shrimp but the hermits, choc. chip star love em.
all we do is rinse the shrimp. i don't think they come with shells. then break one up and feed them. we keep them frozen (only buy like 1/4 lb)

toadbaby

I have gone to my local grocery store and bought a frozen mixed bag of seafood that I feed to everyone. It has mussels, shrimp, cuttlefish (no one seems to like this), octopus, and squid. It was only $9 and will probably last the next decade!

shel

I would not feed them any seafood from the grocery store. I made the mistake once. I thought I would get them a treat. I bought a few shrimp and took the shell off and chopped it into little pieces. I only used maybe 1/2 of one piece. Anyways I lost one of my tangs, flame hawk fish, and 1 green chomie all in a day and half. Anyone that ate it died. Turned out to be bad shrimp. I contaimentated (SP)my tank, I was thankful that was all I lost. I just wanted you to know my experience with store bought shrimp. Good luck!

shel

No it did not look bad or smell bad or anything. After I lost the second fish I took my water down to the LFS and had everything tested. It tested perfect. I told them about the recent deaths, what they looked like before and after they died, and how fast they died when I noticed they were not feeling well. (Not even a whole day) They asked if I recently added anybody new to the tank or if I have recently done anything to it. (No) They asked me if I recently painted in the house or had it sprayed or anything. (No) They said it sounds like some sort of contamenation (SP). I told them I bought some fresh shrimp from the grocery store on wednesday nite and fed it to them. (I was at the lfs on friday morning) They told me that I contaimenated the tank by feeding them shrimp. I guess their was bacteria growing in the shrimp and I chopped it up and fed it to my fish. So I killed them. :mad: The only good thing is at least I only lost 3 fish and I learned alot. I have not had any deaths or anything since that deal. (It has been about 3 months)I did a big water change and put some charcoal in the sump for a few days to absorb any thing else in the water.
Everyone else seems to not have any problems with feeding grocery store seafood. I will not ever do it again, I care too much about my fish. I felt so bad, damn, I killed them because of my own stupidity.
Hope this helps.

nm reef

Several of my corals as well as my fish and crabs like some fresh scallope about once a month.......I get a single one from the meat guy(he knows me well!!!)...I just insure its fresh and slice it into thin pieces....they love it