Dinoflagellates is bout to end my hobbie!!!

T

tailgate1979

Folks I just about have had it with this stuff. It has took over my 75gal, now its in my 30gal which im sure will kill my coral in it. I have tried about anything I can think of to rid it of my tank (tank's)
My 75 I left the light off for a month with nothing in the tank but a few crabs cause it killed everything elsa. Need less to say its still there I would do water changes with ro water everyother day. I dont know what elsa to do besides make flower pots out of my tanks. Any suggestions? I even put a whole bottle of proxide in the tank and left it for a few days then do some water changes but it did'nt help. Thanks for any advise yall have. All my prematers are good, wich im sure the phospates and nitrates would be zero since the alge must be feeding off it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate1979 http:///t/391460/dinoflagellates-is-bout-to-end-my-hobbie#post_3471696
Folks I just about have had it with this stuff. It has took over my 75gal, now its in my 30gal which im sure will kill my coral in it. I have tried about anything I can think of to rid it of my tank (tank's)
My 75 I left the light off for a month with nothing in the tank but a few crabs cause it killed everything elsa. Need less to say its still there I would do water changes with ro water everyother day. I dont know what elsa to do besides make flower pots out of my tanks. Any suggestions? I even put a whole bottle of proxide in the tank and left it for a few days then do some water changes but it did'nt help. Thanks for any advise yall have. All my prematers are good, wich im sure the phospates and nitrates would be zero since the alge must be feeding off it.
Hi,
I was reading up, and from what I read constant kalk drip should help you be rid of them...basically raise the PH or Alk levels. So drip kalk, and raise the PH to 8.4...remove what you can off the rocks and such.
Always use reverse osmoses not tap water. I never heard of proxide...
I invested in an Aquaripure filter.

T

tailgate1979

I have been using kalk my ph is staying around 8.8 How can I set up a drip sytem I have been woundering that I been taking out water from the tank and mixing kalk in it and pooring it in.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate1979 http:///t/391460/dinoflagellates-is-bout-to-end-my-hobbie#post_3471832
I have been using kalk my ph is staying around 8.8 How can I set up a drip sytem I have been woundering that I been taking out water from the tank and mixing kalk in it and pooring it in.
Dumping too much kalk, too fast could kill everything in the tank. Your PH is too high, you want 8.4 to 8.0
Also you do not take water from the tank, you take RO water, and replace only the top off amount...very, very slow.
What is the SG level?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate1979 http:///t/391460/dinoflagellates-is-bout-to-end-my-hobbie#post_3472106
Okay, just checking since your PH was so high. Your tank is way off balance. The PH is high and the dino if feeding off of phosphates. What test kits are you using and how old are they? What type of lights are you using and how old are the bulbs? How old are the filters in the RO unit? A Phosphate reactor will help and check the stuff I mentioned and see if any of them could be adding to the problem. Keep up the water changes and remove the dino by hand...I always used a paper towel, but it was only like a few strands...nothing major. A turkey baster would work too.

snakeblitz33

You must have non-photosynthetic dinoflagellates. :(
Siphon them out at water changes.
Build and use a properly maintained algae scrubber. - this is your best bet.
Kalk drips into a skimmer. Use a skimmer religiously.

T

tailgate1979

My bulbs are new there VHO. But im bout to go to MH. I have been haveing this problem for 8 months I siphon it out and it comes back. My skimmer stays on 24/7 and runs as hard as it can. I have added phos guard and reef bio fuel, to help reduce the nitrate and phos. I have keep the lights off for one week covered up with a blanket. Today I started dripping kalk to make sure my ph stays up. I dont know what elsa to do. I have also added culurpa to my sump. I have been noticing some diatomes starting to come up as well.

snakeblitz33

Don't do any more water changes. That seemed to help others.
An algae scrubber will outcompete the Dino for trace and nutrients. Give it a try.

snakeblitz33

A good start is 35gph of flow per one inch of horizontal screen. A rio 1100 pump at two foot of height can grow a 9" wide screen pretty efficiently. For a 75g you need a 8x10" screen lit on both sides. Use a minimum of two 26w cfl bulbs lit with reflectors on a 16 hour on, 8 hour off timer. Reverse light your screen from your display tank.

novahobbies

Ugh, dinos. Terrible thing to get. I have them in my 20g macro tank right now, and basically I'm trying to wait them out. I increased my pH to 8.5 but I don't know if will be effective...I've heard stories on both sides of the fence about this method. I feel your pain.
If you have multiple tanks, make SURE you don't cross contaminate. Don't use anything from your dino-infested tank anywhere else.
Here's a question for the smart kids in the group: If I take out the rock from a dino infestation and completely dry it out for a few weeks, do y'all think it will be safe in another tank?