DINOFLAGELLATES!!!!

S

shrimpy brains

Are you sure it's dino? Could be cyano.
Siphon out whatever you see. What are your parameters?

1guydude

uhhh pics above meowzer....although i have no idea wat gemmys talkin about...lol im googling as i write this

gemmy

Parameters:
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: Undetectable
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10
Phosphate: Undetectable
Cal: 440
Lights: 250 watt 14k on for about 6-7 hours, pc on for about 10-12 hours
Feeding: Feed one cube every other day.
I have 4 powerheads and have great flow throughout the tank (did the fishing line trick checking for dead spots). I siphon the stuff daily and it gets me nowhere. The stuff seems to be more visible when the halides are on.

meowzer

YUP cyano......It can be beat though.....more frequent w/c's....lessen the time your lights are on, siphon daily......rinse food
have you checked your phosphates?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/385032/dinoflagellates#post_3375144
YUP cyano......It can be beat though.....more frequent w/c's....lessen the time your lights are on, siphon daily......rinse food
have you checked your phosphates?
I don't think it is cyano. It is snotty looking and I have not found an image of cyano that looks like mine. I do weekly water changes, rinse my foods and have zero phosphates. I feed every other day about one cube (a little goes to my 2nd tank).

S

shrimpy brains

Cyano can be eating the nitrates and phosphates and that is why you are getting low/no reading.
Do what Meowzer said, plus consider feeding half a cube every day as opposed to 1 whole cube every other day.
You will be feeding the same amount, but there will be less leftover per feeding.

gemmy

Right now I just have my PC's on (they have been on for 2 hours) and the zoas have no visible slime/snot on them. Now, I notice the substance when my halides are on.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/385032/dinoflagellates#post_3375345
Right now I just have my PC's on (they have been on for 2 hours) and the zoas have no visible slime/snot on them. Now, I notice the substance when my halides are on.
I'm still thinking cyano
I get little blotches of cyano late in the afternoon in the 225G after the MH lights have been on (not when just T5's are on)
I am hoping when I get home there is no new growth of that stuff I saw yesterday :( There was none this morning anyways

gemmy

I just don't know what to do. I use distilled water. I rinse my foods (will try feeding half a cube). I will just be running my PC's for 6 hours and halides for 4. I will do water changes twice a week. I might add another canister filter. I'm also going to order my vortech's this weekend. I think I'll do one mp10 and one mp40 (that is what vortech recommends for my tank).
Oh, and I try to siphon it out every day.

nikesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/385032/dinoflagellates#post_3375356
I just don't know what to do. I use distilled water. I rinse my foods (will try feeding half a cube). I will just be running my PC's for 6 hours and halides for 4. I will do water changes twice a week. I might add another canister filter. I'm also going to order my vortech's this weekend. I think I'll do one mp10 and one mp40 (that is what vortech recommends for my tank).
Oh, and I try to siphon it out every day.
distilled water still has stuff you dont want to be putting in your tank. as for your lights, keeping them on at all will help continue to fuel dino or cyano. your tank would be fine lights out and covered from light for a couple of days