dipped the tang...he's dying now

loopy

well, I was afraid to try the dip, but I went ahead and did it to the tang. He is dying, lying on his side in the tank. Wish I would have followed my instincts and not done it....live and learn. If you are not sure of yourself on a dip, don't do it, get someone who has done it already to do it for you.
I keep uprighting the tang and he swims, but then goes down again. Dead soon I am betting. Hope not though. live and learn.
Don't bother asking questions, I am not in the mood to answer, sorry if that sounds harsh, not meant to, but I just don't wanna talk about it. I am thinking going fresh water and just keeping a couple sw fish in the 10 gallon. Too much for me I guess. Once again........a newbie mistake, but then people learn from my great abundance of mishaps so something good comes out of it.
Later....................

ohiorn67

I know you don't want replies, but I am new also. I just saw several tangs at my lfs that just came in and lying on their sides....I guess common for them some....under stress so they tell me. Actually they came in about 5 days ago...2 are up and one likes to lay on his side under a rock but still alive, so hold your breath!

sato

Mistakes like this only make you better, I lost tons of fish to stupid mistakes in the past.

loopy

no, advice is welcome, I just don't wanna answer..did you do this right etc etc. cuz really, I don't know...probably not. I AM NO GOOD AT THIS.
anyway, thanks for the advice guineawhop..(where did that name come from?) lol
and also, O-67, thanks. Ya'll gotta get names that are easier....lol. OH, I can still laugh in my time of trial and tribulation, whatever the hell that means.
the tang is still breathing....but that's about it. hmmmm.

loopy

Sato, should we count em up and see who's lost more, bet it would be me....geez, the things I do.............EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK, I scare myself sometimes.
life goes on, for me...probably not for the tang. Damn tangs, never gonna get another. Nope.

sato

Oh yea, I also once lost a fully stocked 125 which included:
3 Adult Lions
1 Dwarf Lion
1 Lunar Wrasse
4 Half moon damsels
6 Yellow tangs
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Koran Angel
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Snowflake eel
I win

That should also make you feel a little better that someone else has screwed up worse then you.

O

osufarker

Originally posted by Sato
Oh yea, I also once lost a fully stocked 125 which included:
3 Adult Lions
1 Dwarf Lion
1 Lunar Wrasse
4 Half moon damsels
6 Yellow tangs
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Koran Angel
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Snowflake eel
I win

That should also make you feel a little better that someone else has screwed up worse then you.

And I thought my tanks were overstocked.

sato

Hey now I kept it for just voer 8 months until a power outtage during vacation took it down

OSU as in Oklahoma, or Ohio(I know it lists you as an Ohio resident but I though I'd ask)?

loopy

you do win.
and btw.....tang is dead. I will never ever ever get another tang. this is the second ich magnet I have gotten and I bought him out of pitty cause he was starving at the lfs, I got him nice and fat then I killed him. Never gonna get another tang, nope.
Done. Keep what I have till I kill them too then fresh water or those glass blown fish on glass bobbers.
there is not a emoticon for the way I feel right now. Cripe, I took the coral beauty back to the pet store today cuz it was picking on the tang........now I got neither. I am sorta not very happy right now.
Thanks everyone.

sato

Sleep on it, think about it, and try again. Trust me you dont want to give it up youll kick yourself in the head later once you take everything down.

O

osufarker

Originally posted by Sato
Hey now I kept it for just voer 8 months until a power outtage during vacation took it down

OSU as in Oklahoma, or Ohio(I know it lists you as an Ohio resident but I though I'd ask)?

OSU as in Ohio. Just ribbing you on the stocking. I'm pretty bad myself, but I run live rock, wetdry, and large refugiums on my tanks so I can stock heavily.

lionkiller

Loopy, I lost a ton of fish in my first 6 months once I started stocking. I then just stopped stocking and sat with what I had. A year went by and I started stocking again. I have more success now than then. However I still haven't been able to keep a lionfish alive more than four weeks. I have lost atleast 5. I am working on my sixth.....
Basically just take a step back and let your tank sit how it is for now. Later you will get the itch again and you will have more success.
Sorry for the loss of your tang...I know the feeling, I have lost a couple of them.

loopy

So boalgf, I assume you are saying you have never had a fish die? That's pretty good, a perfect record....bet your the only one.

boalgf

One fish vs double digits loopy. So don't get fresh. Anyways, I was just adding my dry humor. Still you say something like, "should we count em up and see who's lost more, bet it would be me" or "Keep what I have till I kill them too" and you are going to get a few negative replies. Maybe judging from your history you should do as you say. Take back what fish you still have and go freshwater.

guineawhop

it was meant in good fun not a contest. everyone has had a run of bad luck in the past. when i first started i had 2 big wipeouts. the first i lost 400 dollars worth of fish and the second time wasn't as bad but i lost around 270 worth of fish.
loopy, my user name is kindof a inside joke but basically i'm italian and growing up with some of my friends we use to just call eachother names like that in good fun

ophiura

Loopy - this is meant to be advice....
I really think you are just going about this wrong. You are rushing a bit, and buying sketchy livestock. I know you wanted to save it, but it may have been too late. Don't blame yourself. You just shouldn't have bought it.
IMO, in general, you shouldn't even try a tang in a tank unless it is 6 months old. They are just not tough fish at all. Ditto on angels and such. I think it is just too much, too fast. A little too much impulse, a little too little planning, so far as I can tell from reading these posts over the past months.
But sticking to a smaller tank is not going to solve that.
Just let things settle. Get a grasp on the tank now. No more fish for months...get into a pattern and get the tank totally stable. It wasn't too long ago that there were mysterious cloudy episodes with the tank.
I still think the number one issue with failure in this hobby is too much too fast. I think I am crazy when I say that you shouldn't hit max stocking until the tank is a year old, yet I see so many that within a few months are there already. Actually, I wish I didn't see ANY tank at max stocking level. I have 2 fish in my 45.
Every time I think I want a fish, I'll put it off a few weeks...or until I find the right one. People must think I am nuts, but it is a closed little cube of water that is totally reliant on my care. That is a bit sobering.
Just give it time. No more trips to the LFS. No more buying fish. Just let the tank mature for awhile. You may never keep a tang. So what? Does that mean it is a failure? Just don't buy more tangs. It happens for reasons we don't know. But definitely don't buy a dying fish, then have it die, and blame yourself.
Sometimes you don't know why fish are dying at a store.