dipping in fresh water?

kidwicked

has anyone ever dipped a fish in fresh water to kill bacteria??
I also heard its good to make them drink fresh water from a syringe to kill any saltwater bacteria in their stomachs.. got that when watching a show about a huge aquarium in Europe. they were doing it with sun fish that they caught for the aquarium show tanks.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by xDave
I believe thats for parasites, not bacteria.
That is correct, Dave.
While freshwater dips remove the parasites on the fish, this process can be very stressful and it will not remove the parasites in the aquarium.

drewdog82

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
That is correct, Dave.
While freshwater dips remove the parasites on the fish, this process can be very stressful and it will not remove the parasites in the aquarium.
Should u do a freshwater dip upon purchasing a fish, before putting it into a quarantine tank???

drewdog82

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I would not. If a fish has ich, it will show up during the quarantine process.
When I do my initial quar., is it OK to do a hypo treatment??
If so, how long should I have the fish in the quar. tank??
Also, how long should I take to drop the salinity in the quar. tank from 1.018(what my LFS keeps the sal. at) to 1.009..... and how long should I leave the tank at 1.009 before raising it back up to match the display tanks salinity???

cgrant

I do a freshwater dip before a new fish goes into my display tank just to be on the safe side.
It is prob not necessary cause i qt my fish now before putting them in my display tank but ever since my display tank got ich a couple of months back I dont want to take any chances.
So basically I am being anal! It is stressful on the fish but they have all been fine afterwards.
JMO...Like i said if you qt then prob not necessary, I am prob just being over-cautious!
edit: forgot to mention check the faq's on disease forum for beths post about hypo, it tells how to do it.

dogstar

I have dipped most of my fish over the years after acclimating and before introduction to QT or DT......IMO, FW dips are one of the single most effective treatments for parasites when '' properly conducted ''...

drewdog82

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I have dipped most of my fish over the years after acclimating and before introduction to QT or DT......IMO, FW dips are one of the single most effective treatments for parasites when '' properly conducted ''...
How long should the freshwater dip last?? Also, I have read that putting methyl blue (hope the spellings right) in the freshwater when dipping is very effective.

dogstar

Originally Posted by drewdog82
How long should the freshwater dip last?? Also, I have read that putting methyl blue (hope the spellings right) in the freshwater when dipping is very effective.
I aways do 10 minutes when possible. Aways monitor fishe's behavior dureing dip and remove if needed...
I never use chemicals in a FW dip. Your right, some do and I would think to follow instructions depending on the chemical. Chemical dips can be done with SW as well. IMO, chemicals should be chossen and targeted to a KNOWN parisite/bacteria/disease as well as knowing if the chemical is safe for the species.

J

jrthomas40

i just got a maroon clown and i did my freshwater dip for about 2.5 minutes cuz the little guy started darting around the bucket or it might have just been me freaking out since i have lost 4 ocellaris to ick or someother unknown disease....i set up an empty 10g tank with fresh seawater with the same parameters as my main tank and added some cycle bacteria because i dont have a true quarantine tank and i am not completely sure how to do a full hypo-salinity treatment...i have read that a dip of 2-5 mins should be sufficent for most parasites such as ich