Directing water flow

magicmx5

I am new to the salt water hobby and love it already.

My main concern right now is water flow. I have a hidden sump that pumps water back in through a split nozzle (not sure of the flow rate at the moment but can find out). :notsure:
1. Is there an optimal direction for the water to be aimed? (along the surface, straight down, at an angle...etc)
2. Should I point the nozzles in the same or different directions?
3. Do people typically have a pump and powerhead in the same setup?
My goal is to have a 72G peaceful reef community. Fish interested in include:
clown, royal gramma, firefish, jawfish, cardinal, dwarf angel, inverts (crabs, snails)
My wife really wants a blue linkia starfish, but I dont know if this will fit into our community or not. That is a question handled much later as the community develops. Thanks

biggredd

I have a 125 long. I have 2 returns coming back in facing a 45 degree angle to the front. One kind of goes straight just along the surface of the water, the other kind of points down cause I suck at glueing those things together.
As for my powerheads I have 3 295 gph. They are all right about middle as far vertical placement in my tank. I have one on one side of the tank facing the middle front of my tank. On the other side I have two side by side, one facing along the back side of the tank and the other facing the front middle of the tank.
I like to think my flow is getting most all of the places I need it to. If anyone has anything to suggest about it I am all ears but that is how I have it now.