Disappearing Act

blender

I've had a yellow wrasse for about a month. He always seems to disappear when it gets dark outside. One night I looked for him all over and I couldn't find him. I was totally stumped. I concluded he was in a shell that I have in the tank. Well last night I was looking at one end of my tank when I heard a noise on the other end. I starteled me and there was a big cloud of dust in the water. I realized the yellow wrasse buries himself in the crushed coral and sleeps there. Though I would share.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, wrasses are notorious burrowers. When I first started this hobby I encounted the same thing as you. However, I discovered my wrasse by noting his tail sticking out of the substrate. On closer inspection, I saw parts of him barely sticking out here and there through the substrate. Well, of course, I assumed the fish died and went to get him out. As soon as I awoke him he scooted out like the devil was after him! It was quite startling for both of us! This hobby is a learning experience all the time.

fishgirl

i had a disappearing cleaner wrasse, and once i thought it was dead for like 5 days, and then it came back!!! They're strange!!! Good luck!