Disappearing Clownfish!!!!

adrianap98

I had to put my 6 clowns back into the temp. tank and the tank had a hermit crab and a chocolate chip starfish. But three of the clowns disappeared and one is turning blackish on the top.

mr llimpid

First you cant keep 6 clowns in 1 tank for long, unless it over 300 gal tank. Just 2 per tank of the same spieces and even then there is a chance they will not mate.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LLimpid http:///t/396548/disappearing-clownfish#post_3533459
First you cant keep 6 clowns in 1 tank for long, unless it over 300 gal tank. Just 2 per tank of the same spieces and even then there is a chance they will not mate.

+1 and the CC star and crab either ate the dead fish, or they committed sushi and jumped out to carpet surf. LOL...or you have a cat that figured out how to fish...I had a cat like that once.

adrianap98

well yea but the water needed to be changed so i needed to put them into the tank again and, my fish are kept in my marine biology class. my teacher has a big tank a smaller tank and the tank that i put my clowns in for temp use only. he said when he went on saturday they were all there then on monday two were gone then this past sat. again one disappeared.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaP98 http:///t/396548/disappearing-clownfish#post_3533501
well yea but the water needed to be changed so i needed to put them into the tank again and, my fish are kept in my marine biology class. my teacher has a big tank a smaller tank and the tank that i put my clowns in for temp use only. he said when he went on saturday they were all there then on monday two were gone then this past sat. again one disappeared.

Hi,

UMMM...why do you remove your fish to do a water change? I had to remove my fish and put them in buckets when I had freshwater tanks, so I could scrub the décor and vacuum the gravel....but in 14 years of having saltwater tanks, I have never had to do that. I remove 1/3rd of the water, and replace it with new saltwater (that I mixed and churned via a utility pump for 24 hours) I don't remove fish, corals, rocks or sand. JUST WATER.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaP98 http:///t/396548/disappearing-clownfish#post_3533516
It was cause we were doing a 75% water change cause of the nitrite levels. they were at 1<

I found out from a professor kind of fellow, that nitrites are not deadly to fish. Also doing a 75% WC is not good to do, it sets back the entire system which takes approximately a year to mature. Do you have live rock in the tank? With the good bacteria established, and the tank not overcrowded and no overfeeding....there should not be any nitrite reading at all. You have something causing the system to be unbalanced. The worry BEFORE you noticed nitrites, was an ammonia spike...

adrianap98

yea i have live rock and eveything is good now i moved one clown to each tank (3) and one chromi in each of them as well. but thanks for the info.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaP98 http:///t/396548/disappearing-clownfish#post_3533542
im still rather curious on the dissapearance of my clowns. Thats $48 down somewhere. :(

Maybe there is a critter that goes fishing. Something that finds a way in and out of the building, or maybe escaped from the science lab...

Biggest mystery I ever had was a little freshwater Beta, I had it in one of those gallon tanks with a light in the lid, and a little decoration with an under gravel kind of bubble contraption, not a snail or anything in there with it....it disappeared, no body was ever found, the lid was on tight... I even dismantled the little tank, and it wasn't in there.

Sometimes, it will just have to remain a mystery.

adrianap98

Yea i agree, well at least thats three less fish to look out for. We were suspicious of the crab so we took it out and out into the time-out jar (another tank with nothing in it but sand and water) but then another one disappeared so we are suspicious the CC star has turned carnivore

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaP98 http:///t/396548/disappearing-clownfish#post_3533551
Yea i agree, well at least thats three less fish to look out for. We were suspicious of the crab so we took it out and out into the time-out jar (another tank with nothing in it but sand and water) but then another one disappeared so we are suspicious the CC star has turned carnivore

No way, a HEALTHY fish is faster then the CC star fish. maybe you have another eater in the tank, that hitchhiked on the rock or something...

There is also the possibility of some other kid up to no good.

seafishlover

What kind of clownfish do you have? I have 7 ocellaris clowns in one tank and they are doing fine. As a matter of fact they are a schooling fish and love to be together. If your clowns are sickly the starfish and hermit crab will make a meal out of them. Definitely do not put a choc. chip star in a reef tank...it will devour everything in its path.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafishlover http:///t/396548/disappearing-clownfish#post_3533614
What kind of clownfish do you have? I have 7 ocellaris clowns in one tank and they are doing fine. As a matter of fact they are a schooling fish and love to be together. If your clowns are sickly the starfish and hermit crab will make a meal out of them. Definitely do not put a choc. chip star in a reef tank...it will devour everything in its path.

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

How big is the tank you have 7 clownfish in? How mature are the clowns, and how long have you had them?

adrianap98

Well they are ocellaris clowns, and i had 6 in one tank the tank was about 35-40 gallons. and they were all healthy except one, but that one we moved and let it get better than put it back into the temp. tank with the others.

tthemadd1

Honestly that is too many clowns in one tank that size. Just my opinion but knowing the species and the tank size determines a lot when it comes to aggression. Best of luck