disaster

bulldog123

put thirty pounnds of new rock in last night everything was fine,the even ate. woke up this morning and almost every fish is dead. all chems are fine salt and temp. oh yea we added three corals as well WHAT HAPPENED!

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/2947202
put thirty pounnds of new rock in last night everything was fine,the even ate. woke up this morning and almost every fish is dead. all chems are fine salt and temp. oh yea we added three corals as well WHAT HAPPENED!
Ammonia spike.Tell more about the rock you put in.Was it cured?What kind of rock is it? .....

bulldog123

yes it was cured the rock came from vietnam corals fine hermits fine snails fine amonia alert is fine we also added a fan for movement the other two fish look bad

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/2947219
yes it was cured the rock came from vietnam corals fine hermits fine snails fine amonia alert is fine we also added a fan for movement the other two fish look bad
Do you have a quarantine tank? I would remove all your live stock if you do until you find out whats going on.
In any case a large water change is in order.
How long was the LR out of water, And what are your Ammonia and Nitrite readings now?

snakeblitz33

If the rock came from vietnam, and you put it directly in your tank, then the rock has some dieoff which created an ammonia spike which killed your live stock. The ammonia alert sticker thing never works and if it does, it doesn't work well. You should get a marine liquid master test kit by API (cheapest, arguably not the best) and test your water parameters.
What kind of corals were they? What other livestock did you have? Sorry for your losses, and don't get discouraged. Research will always pay off in the end.
You need to do some research on The Nitrogen Cycle.

bulldog123

we have the liquid test kit
old coral includes green frog spawn a leather mushroom
new coral includes feather duster

shyfish

Hi,

When you were messing with your tank, did you wash your hands all the way up to your elbows?
If it wasn't the rock causing an ammonia spike, then you may have had soap or something on your hands. Total die off is caused by something.
What were you eating, what were you handling, could anything have fallen into the tank? Did you use a rag or sponge that may of had something on it?
Ask these questions of yourself and try and figure out the mystery, because you don't want this to happen again.
I poisoned my tank once because I was using Puff Plus with lotion to wipe my nose.

bulldog123

we rinsed but we used a towel that was dried with a dryer sheet to dry our hands when going in and out,something like that would not kill everything why are corals and other stuff fine

pete159

so called cured rock is a big scam. Rock will always have die off when you bring it home, and buying live rock online, well, just be prepared for a monster ammonia spike.
Your only supposed to add about 10 lbs of live rock at a time, after you first put it in a tub of water with a powerhead and leave it there to let it cure at your home before adding it to your tank.
The ammonia from the die off killed your fish.