Disaster !!

frankness

The seal gave out on my 65 gal Fluval bow front , front bottom corner! The tank is only a year and a half old! Set up a 20 gal for my fish , inverts and coral but I could only fit a couple pieces of live rock in it . Anyone ever delt with Fluval customer service before? Very sick to my stomach over this ! My tank was going great and then this happens unbelievable!

btldreef

Fluval customer service experience:
People are nice and helpful, but slow to get any real answers.
Good luck!

frankness

Ive been in contact with Fluval and they want pictures in order to warranty the tank which is expected. My only concern is that i really do not want the same model . I dont want something like this to happen again ..... I have no trust in bow fronts now!

2quills

Interesting. A friend of mine has a similar sized bow front that leaked from the same place. I'll have to ask if it was a fluval. Does your tank have a center brace across the top?
Tank leaks suck, I know.
What type of stand was it on?

flower

....I'm glad you didn't have any fish deaths...the rock can be put in tubs. I hope Fluval does as they should and replace the tank, or give you your money back....it should be your choice, and they may have another type of tank to offer besides a bowfront if you don't want to get another one..

frankness

@2quills yes it has a center brace and it was on the stand it came with. Ive researched online and found that I'm not the only one this has happened to. @flower I'm hoping they give me options . The only thing i don't think is going to make it is my Xenia.

phixer

Sorry to hear, If you want to keep a bowfront maybe look at acrylic. Much stronger seams, scratch potential is there but this can be prevented if your careful.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankness http:///t/394504/disaster#post_3511390
@2quills yes it has a center brace and it was on the stand it came with. Ive researched online and found that I'm not the only one this has happened to. @flower I'm hoping they give me options . The only thing i don't think is going to make it is my Xenia.
Xenia are tough corals...I had some melt to nothing (looked like a snot slick) when my lights gave out...as soon as the light was replaced, it sprouted and lasted another 5 years until my heater electrocuted the entire tank.

frankness

Xenia are tough corals...I had some melt to nothing (looked like a snot slick) when my lights gave out...as soon as the light was replaced, it sprouted and lasted another 5 years until my heater electrocuted the entire tank.
Hope it comes back. Thats exactly how it looks! It melted

mr. limpid

Xena are weeds and I mean that in a good way. They will not die unless you keep them in the dark too long or electrocuted the entire tank. Sorry Flower had to say it. I bet nothing survived that.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394504/disaster#post_3511497
Xena are weeds and I mean that in a good way. They will not die unless you keep them in the dark too long or electrocuted the entire tank. Sorry Flower had to say it. I bet nothing survived that.
The green star polyps, a few of the zoa here and there...no fish deaths. I lost every invert, even the tiny things in the rock and sand. My serpent star came out of the rocks, and as it moved across the tank it's legs fell off...I was mortified. I didn't know what happened at first, until I noticed the broken heater....I tried a search to find the thread, but I don't even remember the title.
Pulsing Xenia is my favorite coral, it looks like it dances in the water current. No light is what made mine die and melt into a pool of mushy goo...but as soon as the light hit it, tiny baby stalks began to grow, it recovered completely. I had it in my tank for years until the heater incident.

mr. limpid

That is terrible the star legs fell off. Yep I love my Xina, its funny they love being in the current grow well. But when I turn off the pumps to feed, they pulse faster, are they trying to make there own current?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394504/disaster#post_3511504
That is terrible the star legs fell off. Yep I love my Xina, its funny they love being in the current grow well. But when I turn off the pumps to feed, they pulse faster, are they trying to make there own current?
I think of them as little hands grabbing for food. With no current to cause food to pass by, maybe they panic and start grabbing as fast as they can in hopes of survival. They don't have eyes or a brain...As I understand coral...teeny tiny creatures make up the coral, they work together to survive and count on the food in the water to get close enough for them to grab it. Anyway I looked it up...

Coral Polyp

by Kevin Brown

A coral polyp is an invertebrate meaning an animal with no backbone, examples of this are anemones and jellyfish. It is also the single living unit of a coral and the creature responsible for our coral reefs. One coral piece can be covered by thousands of coral polyps that in a group are called a coral colony. A coral can also consist of just one polyp, an example of this is the Scolymia sp..
A coral polyp has a sack like body and an opening encircled by stinging tentacles called cnidae. The coral polyp uses calcium carbonate from seawater to build itself a hard skeleton and it is this limestone skeleton that protects the soft coral polyp.
Coral polyps are usually nocturnal which means they are closed during the day and extend their tentacles to feed at night. They can feed during the day if there is an abundance of food in the water such as zooplankton. Most reef building coral will contain live photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae, this zooxanthellea is what gives the coral nourishment to survive.

Coral polyps have a simple nervous system and no brain or spinal cord. This simple nervous system consists of nerve cells that loosely connect to other coral polyps on the structure. It is this nerve net that will cause other polyps to react when only a few polyps were disturbed on the coral.
Years ago when I got my first Xenia, every time I fed the coral food, the Xenia polyps would close up...I thought it didn't like the food. The LFS owner (no computer back then) told me the coral was feeding and closed up to trap the food. That's why I think of them as little hands.

mr. limpid

Thanks Flower I was under the impression that Xina's were only photosynthetic and didn't require food. I will from now on make sure I squirt some food in there direction.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394504/disaster#post_3511511
Thanks Flower I was under the impression that Xina's were only photosynthetic and didn't require food. I will from now on make sure I squirt some food in there direction.
They filter feed (they like nitrates) and also depend on light...I wouldn't bother to squirt food in their direction, what floats away when you feed the other corals is enough....you don't want to overfeed and end up with a cyano or hair algae problem.

frankness

Finally received word from Fluval. They are shipping me a new tank and the one i wanted(not another bowfront) . Now begins the recovery stage, i have to cure about 60 pounds of live rock thats been out of the water for a week. Fluval tanks come with plumbing though the bottom of the tank for the canister filter , i would like to use this for a sump , refugium , skimmer setup underneath . Anyone ever done this with a tank drilled in the bottom as apposed to the back , have always ran hob skimmer with a canister in the past.