Disaster !!

frankness

My new tank has arrived . As you can see it is drilled with the bulkheads already siliconed into place they are 1 inch . The cabinet is 39 long 18 deep with a divider/support in the middle . I think im going to have to cut a dog house in the divider in order to fit a sump refugium . After cut if properly reinforced/framed with 2x4's on either side I think it will be strong enough if not stronger.? I also lack an ******** overflow box , does this have to be custom made ? I have not been able to find anyone who sells full depth overflows. The bulkheads are designed to have the intake and return of a fluval canister filer slide through and a nut screwed on from underneath i dont know if these will work.

al&burke

I bought the exact same tank at a petsmart store closing, tank, stand, light (T5HO) and fluval filter and heater. It is a nice tank, retails 600 bucks I got it for 150. I haven't set it up yet but I am thinking of either drilling it on the back and install an internal overflow box and using the two 1" drain as a return. Hiding the pipes with some live rock. Or I will plug the holes on the bottom and make a spray bar as a return. They are real nice tanks, I curious to see what you are going to do. Another option is building a custom acrylic overflow box around the two existing drains and make a spray bar return.

acrylic51

The manufacturer siliconed the bulkheads.....Not comforting IMHO.....Anyways 1/4" acrylic would work fine.....

2quills

I'd remove them and inspect the holes. There shouldnt be any reason to have to use silicone on bulkheads unless theyre trying to cover a defect.
Agree on 1/4" material.

acrylic51

My thoughts are the same as Cory's.... No reason to use silicone and rather sloppy IMO.... Are they regular bulkheads?? Worse case I'd pull the bulkheads and remove the silicone and use my own bulkheads!!

frankness

My thoughts are the same as Cory's.... No reason to use silicone and rather sloppy IMO.... Are they regular bulkheads?? Worse case I'd pull the bulkheads and remove the silicone and use my own bulkheads!!They seem very light weight plastic as if there would not be a seal without the silicone.

frankness

My thoughts are the same as Cory's.... No reason to use silicone and rather sloppy IMO.... Are they regular bulkheads?? Worse case I'd pull the bulkheads and remove the silicone and use my own bulkheads!!They seem very light weight plastic as if there would not be a seal without the silicone.

frankness

Removed the silicone and bulkheads the holes look good, 1 1/4 " they were very light weight and there was no rubber gasket ( silicone) . Ordered schedule 80s to replace them

acrylic51

I'm not personally there, but junky??? Bulkheads don't need silicone applied to seal... Can you tell if there is a gasket between the bulkhead and the glass?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankness http:///t/394504/disaster/20#post_3513901
Removed the silicone and bulkheads the holes look good, 1 1/4 " they were very light weight and there was no rubber gasket ( silicone) . Ordered schedule 80s to replace them
I guess they didn't figure they'd need a gasket since they were using silicone as the seal. I believe they were using silicone in the first place because in the picture it appears to me as though they purposely installed them backwards/inverted. A gasket seal is always supposed to be installed with the gasket on the wet side of the glass because they last longer that way and don't dry out or turn brittle is fast. Using the gasket on the wet side in this case would have just simply allowed water to wick its way up the threads and start dripping outside of the tank from underneath the flange. You could use a gasket on the outside if you wanted to and it can still work as a seal...it's just not considered the proper way is all.
What were the actual size of the holes?

acrylic51

Agree.....I'd double check hole size before ordering Schedule 80 bulkheads....entirely different size holes required......

frankness

Agree.....I'd double check hole size before ordering Schedule 80 bulkheads....entirely different size holes required......
emailed supplier and they recomended 3/4 abs