discosoma propagation

blane perun

Discosoma Propagation, speeding up a natural process.
Other than cutting your mushrooms and encouraging them to mount to a small rock or plug via a loosely placed zip tie, I have noticed in my tanks a natural method that seems to work well. Whenever I buy a Rock with a small colony, I place it at the bottom of the tank in a semi Shaded area. Instead of placing the rock horizontally, I place it vertically
With the colony faced towards the glass away from direct light. I tilt The rock back 10-15 degrees as to have the top most tip of the rock getting more light than the bottom. The current is moderate to low. From my observations the mushrooms more readily divide through fission than they have when the rocks are placed horizontally in full light. In
Situations where the Discosoma could continue onto another rock vertically, I have witnessed one dividing into 4 or more over the coarse of a bit over a month in strive to find more light. I then take a small screw drier and hammer and chip out a section under
The new polyp and glue that to a plug. Since the Mushroom mounted itself to the rock there is no awkward period waiting for it to attach.
Blane Perun