disinfecting scrapers buckets etc

bigl21750

I have several tanks 50 gallon , 180 gallon, and a nano tank. I have always worried about cross contaminating m tanks when using buckets and tools , any suggestions on a easy method to prevent contaminting my tanks.

chipmaker

I have a heap of tanks both fresh and salt, as well as a heap of outside water features from 20 gal preform barrel liner types to 220 gal preform ponds. For me it owul dbe a night mare keeping individual nets and other items for each setup. I normally keep tropical fish in the outside preforms nopt koi or gold fish, as my koi and goldfish are kept in 2 large natural ponds. I make up a stock solution of potassium permanganate, and its used to make a dissenfecting solution. I use PP for 100% of all my cleaning and dissenfecting needs and its done just fine. Chlorox would probably work as well, but it requires a more thourough rinsing before use. Plain water risnse is not gona do anaythng to kill off any junk that coud be propblematic....If thatw as the case there would be no need to use a dissenfectant or sanitizer in operating rooms or in food processing plants and businesses....I have never psread anay disease fromn one tank to another in many many years and I do have some fish that are eat up with fungal / bacterial infections etc.....I aquired them free from a place that was getting rid of their outside pond.......so now they get treated by me here before being released in the larger ponds......but I still use same buckets, nets etc.

reefreak29

i would never use bleach , and especially a chemical like pp wich is a descaling agent for metals, i would be more concerned about getting those chems in my tanks then cross contaminating diseases

promisetbg

There is also a solution made for this purpose. It comes in a jug and a splash turns the water blueish. It's called Pro-Net.

chipmaker

Well for the record, PP is not a descaling chemical, per se, its an oxidizer. I know of a chemical that sounds similar to PP that is used for descaling metal but its certainly not potassium permangante. PP is used in sanitizing of things as well as a host of other uses daily in industry. Its used to clean metals not descale......
Its also one of the most if not most widely used oxidizers for cleanng nets and other equipment in the aquaculture industry, and is totally safe.........and no worse than anything else if its use properly. You can kill a tank full of critters with vinegar as well.........Were not talking putting it in the display tanks, although it can and is done........as its an approved remedy for a lot ofvarious fish helath problems, but were tlaking abut clenaing equipment with it, and for that its perfectly safe, since thngs are followed by a rinse, and within 4 to 6 hours the stuff is inerted by its own oxidaitn process anyhow, no matter if yu rinse or let it dry on the item its still inert. Chlorox once dry is also inert. And wasshing in chlorox is not any worse than washing in chlorinated water and allowing to dry., Wash in chlorox, rinse well and allow to dry, and its safe as can be.......No sense being paranoid. Being totally unfamiliar with such things like chlorox cleaning and PP is not a reason to knock it.
IIRC the pro net stuff is a stock solution of PP.....or it contains PP. I think some folks really needs to read the online papers put out by some universities like University of Florida, marine biology department or Auburn University, Fisheries Dept , and see exactly what you can and can not do and how to do it with chlorox as well as excellent info and directions for using potassium permangante instead of being in the dark about it and just putting it down for no reasonother than lack of knowledge on it.
If you can't rinse a simple thing like a net or a bucket after cleaning with PP or chlorox and do it right, then maybe fiddling with fish is not cut out for you either.
There is very few critters PP is not good for or at least not in the standard dose rate. I can rid my health problems almost overnight with a PP bath or treatment in a QT tank a lot quicker and more efficient than most so called suggested meds and cures, along with water changes....I know of a few folks that dosed their entire display tank along with its inhabs with a 2ppm dose of PP and the only problem they encountered wsa lobsters and shrimp do not like it, everything else came out loking good and parasite and disesae free......They had an anen=mone that had some kind of brown jelly rot, and it oxidized it right up and cleaned all undesireables out of the water...So don;t know PP until you know about it and how to use it, as its well worth getting familiar with it as it just like lemon juice or vinegar or a wrong salt mix ratio can be good or bad, if you do not know what your doing and working with PP is not hard......I can clean up an algae bloom over night with PP. I know its off the original topic of using something to clean equipment with but my point is PP is safe if you follow directions, and no more dangerous than anything else can be, so if your not knowledgeable with it don't knock it.
I use between 250-400 pounds of PP in my ponds and aquariums annually.....and have been for years on end.......and have yet to have a death associated with it or any other problems. If a fish dies with a PP treatment it was bound to die anyhow, and in no way is from the PP treatment....
http://search.ufl.edu/web?query=Potassium+Permanganate

ophiura

Bleach is very commonly used in this industry (eg public aquariums) to clean decor, filter bags, etc. As mentioned, it simply needs a dilute solution and then rinsing (I threw in a dose of decholorinator for kicks).
But I used it lots and lots of times......
BTW, be glad it is only nets and things. In aquariums, they have to be especially careful with divers too
We always had to consider which systems tanks were on and try to minimize cross contamination. A freshwater tank was a typical in between stop.