Dismantle Quarantine Tank?

richl

I have a 125 gal FOWLR tank with 100+ lbs live rock. My water parameters for PH, Ammonia and Nitrite are always great, though Nitrates run 20-40 most likely from overfeeding. I change 20 gal (sometimes 30) every other week when I clean Fluval cannister filter.The stock included 2 Heniochus Butterflies, 1 Klein's Butterfly, 2 Ocellaris clownfish, 1 Blue Green Chromis and 1 juvenile French Angelfish which was the last added one year ago. The Heni's are the senior members at about 3 years. Cleanup crew includes 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded, and a small number of hermit crabs & snails. I firmly belive in a QT and hypo for all new stock and have maintained a 20 gal tank with no fish for the past year. The QT sits on a very heavy but nice wooden desk and the wood near the tank had started to blister, so I'm thinking of taking it down. I have no plans to add fish and my fish have all been happy and healthy for 1-3 years. I probably could use more cleanup crew, but not sure about that. The QT has two drip filters on it, so I was thinking of just moving them to either an empty 5 gal or 10 gal tank just to maintain cycle. I just throw some fish food in ocassionally to keep it in cycle. This would give me the opportunity to use less space and avoid further damage to the desk. I could keep the empty 20 if needed as a QT later and just move the drip filters back if I really needed it. Does this make sense? Does anyone have suggestons on how to establish a QT when needed while minimizing cycle time? Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with no QT is the obvious one. If a fish does get sick, such as popeye or bacterial infection, then you will not be able to immediately begin treatment. Given your situation, I can understand you desire not to maintain the extra tank. I think your idea about setting up a mini tank to maintain the filters is a good alternative.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/391415/dismantle-quarantine-tank#post_3471026
The problem with no QT is the obvious one. If a fish does get sick, such as popeye or bacterial infection, then you will not be able to immediately begin treatment. Given your situation, I can understand you desire not to maintain the extra tank. I think your idea about setting up a mini tank to maintain the filters is a good alternative.
I agree.
Keeping those filters running is key, then you can add them back to the 20G if needed.
Luckily, I have a sump, so I'm able to just toss my sponge filters in there when I'm not using them on my QT (the ones that have no been treated with medications).