Disney QT method

ifirefight

According to the Feb.issue of FAMA. Basically they get the wild fish in a container with holes in it,leave it in the saltwater. Prior to releasing the fish into the "Living Seas" display, each container is lifted out of the saltwater,the water drains out the holes,then the container is immersed in fresh water. The difference in the osmotic pressure between the two media caused the exoparasites to burst,stripping the fish of their hitchikers. My question is this an effective way to rid all parasites including ICH???? And if it is why doesnt everybody do it?????

bellanavis

That might work to get the ich off of the fish, but then when you put it back in your tank, new ich will attach onto them. That would only work if you had another tank without ich in it to put them in, then leave your DT tank fishless for 5 to 6 weeks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by ifirefight
My question is this an effective way to rid all parasites including ICH???? And if it is why doesn't everybody do it?????

Obviously it is .....for Disney's small ocean tank--even dolphins. The key here is size of tank. Ich reaches plague proportions in your average hobbyist's aquaria because of the size of the aquarium and the accessibility of the same fish to the parasite. In a billion gal tank, simulating the ocean, the parasite's life-cycle is easily broken or greatly controlled due to the mass of the water environment. While a fish may become exposed to ich, it can be controlled.
Disney can't use copper either, because I know they have rays, sharks, etc., in those tanks--even dolphins. FW dips is a common method used by professions. If is effective at removing many surface parasites, but leave just 1 parasite, and put that fish in your little tank, and you will have a problem. Your average hobbyist needs to QT, or live to regret it.

birdmom

Originally Posted by Beth
Obviously it is .....for Disney's small ocean tank--even dolphins. The key here is size of tank. Ich reaches plague proportions in your average hobbyist's aquaria because of the size of the aquarium and the accessibility of the same fish to the parasite. In a billion gal tank, simulating the ocean, the parasite's life-cycle is easily broken or greatly controlled due to the mass of the water environment. While a fish may become exposed to ich, it can be controlled.
Disney can't use copper either, because I know they have rays, sharks, etc., in those tanks--even dolphins. FW dips is a common method used by professions. If is effective at removing many surface parasites, but leave just 1 parasite, and put that fish in your little tank, and you will have a problem. Your average hobbyist needs to QT, or live to regret it.

Hey beth! Thumbs Up!!
To simplify this even further.....The tanks at Disney are very large... They also have heavier water filtration & more water flow than a tank found in a home setting. The filtration in a public aquarium is also far more advanced than one would have in a home or business setting...
For them to "freshwater dip" is just responsible practice to ensure that any fish than enter contain the smallest possible fraction of "bad" as possible.
Another thing that I have observed, is that compared to home & business tanks is that they do not "Overstock" With rock or livestock.. With more area for parasites to dwell & less to hide, combined with less opportunity to host.. It is unlikely for them to survive
Again more volume, less livestock & heavy water flow & filtration....
equals no opportunity to latch on to a host...
That is not to say that the "bad things" are nonexistant... But that they have very little opportunity to find a host.
In a smaller tank, they are more likely to cause a problem due to the isolation..
That said.. to stress the point, I have yet to see a pic of a fish swimming in the ocean about to die of Ick... I have not seen, read or have had someone tell me otherwise.. I also have experience diving reefs as well & can say.... Nope... Have not seen it there...
Again, Good Job Beth!! I hope you know that I meant no ill. HUGS!
Birdmom
(never said I was an english major))

renogaw

on the flip side, there is a shark tank (saw on discovery) that qt's their sharks for 2 months. even though they have a large tank that they let people swim in, they do this to prevent their sharks from getting sick.

earlybird

Originally Posted by renogaw
on the flip side, there is a shark tank (saw on discovery) that qt's their sharks for 2 months. even though they have a large tank that they let people swim in, they do this to prevent their sharks from getting sick.
Good to know. I had no clue about a QT tank when I first started researching. As soon as I found out what one was I decided this is a must have for me. It seems simple and productive. I don't know why people want to skip this step. QT is the way to go.