distilled water

cjb82

I'm new in SW tanks and have a question, can you use distilled water and if so do any additives have to be added. Thanks for all responses.;)

wrassecal

I'm not sure how you want to use it. I used DI water to start my tank and for all water changes. I do use distilled for top off water sometimes and have had no problems with it. Using it that way I don't add anything.

cjb82

I used tap water to start tank, I heard ro water is the best but haven't seen any in my local stores. I get free distilled water from a friend that is why I was wondering if I can use it. I don't understand the difference between distilled and RO water?

wrassecal

RO is reverse osmosis
DI is deionized
Usually you can buy RO/DI at your lfs. Some grocery stores have machines where you can buy it. A lot of people have their own ro/di units at home.

broomer5

CJB82
Boil water
Collect the steam in a condenser.
The steam condenses back to pretty pure water, while most of the impurities are left behind.
That's distilled water
As Kip mentioned - testing it for phosphates would be wise, along with other tests if you can.
If this "free" source of distilled water from your friend is unlimited ... I would use it for sure. Free is always good !
If it tests out good - no problem at all - as long as you are getting it in plastic jugs.