District 9

aquaknight

Not seen it yet, Claudette put the damper on it for now. Going to tomorrow if I have to swim there.... Opening weekend ($37mil) was a bit lower then I thought, but not bad.

aquaknight

Saw it yesterday.Didn't turn into the all-out prawn vs. human war the trailers lead you to believe was coming. Perhaps that, and admittedly it did drag a little in a few spots, is why some didn't like it much. That said I find the story/plot nicely layered, couple things to keep track of, etc.
Or the first half being shown through a camera may have dissuaded some. Cloverfield instantly comes to mind. JT, did you see Cloverfield, how'd you like that? (big fan)
I just never really connected with Wikus (the main guy). I understand the character was the bubbling-goofball, sort of nerd guy, got the job way over his head because of his father in law, type. I even think the guy did a great job playing the role, just for him to do the things he does towards the end of the movie, I don't think he had it in him. A stronger male role type guy would be have more suited IMO. Not so over the top like Stallone or Arnie, but like Ryan Reynolds or so.
But yea, they did leave so much unanswered hopefully a sequel is in the works. Just a bit worried with it only making $37mil on opening weekend, if the sequel will be green lit. I would really feel better if it made around $50mil or so. It still made it's money back in one weekend, so that's got to count for something I hope.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3116564
Saw it yesterday.Didn't turn into the all-out prawn vs. human war the trailers lead you to believe was coming. Perhaps that, and admittedly it did drag a little in a few spots, is why some didn't like it much. That said I find the story/plot nicely layered, couple things to keep track of, etc.
Or the first half being shown through a camera may have dissuaded some. Cloverfield instantly comes to mind. JT, did you see Cloverfield, how'd you like that? (big fan)
I just never really connected with Wikus (the main guy). I understand the character was the bubbling-goofball, sort of nerd guy, got the job way over his head because of his father in law, type. I even think the guy did a great job playing the role, just for him to do the things he does towards the end of the movie, I don't think he had it in him. A stronger male role type guy would be have more suited IMO. Not so over the top like Stallone or Arnie, but like Ryan Reynolds or so.
But yea, they did leave so much unanswered hopefully a sequel is in the works. Just a bit worried with it only making $37mil on opening weekend, if the sequel will be green lit. I would really feel better if it made around $50mil or so. It still made it's money back in one weekend, so that's got to count for something I hope.
I watched Cloverfield, VERY good movie!!

zman1

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3113811
I went to see it yesterday. I wasn't really that impressed...
I was all for going to the theater, until now. What science fiction movie would you consider worth seeing in the theater? That will help me. I wait for DVD rentals many times.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3116564
i saw cloverfield...my only problem with it was the abrupt end to the movie...the rest leading up th it was great...
anyways...i think that wikus was portrayed perfectly...at the begining of the movie he was kind of a weak little geek who disliked aliens...and as the movie progressed you see his character transform and get more and more brave and powerful...he also helps christopher(granted he also tried to leave christopher behind)...
there are so many ways that the next movie could go...they could come back and try to exterminate humans...they could just come back for their own kind and leave the humans alone...they could split the aliens in 12 and make some want to attack the humans and some just want to leave...
to me, this movie couldnt have been done any better...it wasnt your run of the mill alien movie in which the aliens are ungodly more powerful then humans and the only reason that the humans survive is because of a lucky break...it was a fresh new style of movie that has some links as to what is really going on in south africa...i have provided a pic at the bottem of this to show a shack from the REAL District 6 in Johannesburg...
all in all, to me, it was a great movie that showed growth in the characters and left the end wide open to either a sequel or your own interpretation of the events after that day...

salt life

I didn't like it, I wanted to see action and all I saw was a russian dude making friends with an alien dude. best part was when the screen went black and the credits started rollin'.