DIY 150 gallon high aquarium questions.

xosux

I am looking to build a 150 gallon high aquarium 48"L 24"W 30"H. What is the minimum thickness tempered glass will i need? I will be using euro bracing along the top. I was looking at 1/4" but i'm afraid it may be too thin but it's half the price of 3/8". Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

xosux

Because tempered is 5 times stronger meaning thinner glass can be used and there will be children around the aquarium.

acrylic51

I wouldn't use tempered for the front and side panels.....yet they might be stronger, but if it get's hit, your going to loose everything to quick to have a chance to drain it down and transfer your stuff vs. going with regular glass....it won't splinter into a million pieces......Tank manufacturers don't use tempered on their side panels just the bottom.
1/2" glass would be plenty.......1/4" is just asking for issues......

sman

I would say 3/8 or 1/2. I doubt you would get it 1/2 full with 1/4 glass without it breaking.
Also, dont use tempered, as stated, it doesnt crack like normal glass does when it breaks, it shatters, into a gagillion peices.

A

alexmir

also, you cannot drill tempered glass, so it would be more difficult to put a sump or refugium .

acrylic51

Honestly 3/8" for a 30"H tank is risky or asking for issues IMHO....take a look at the major tank manufacturers and see what their glass thickness is for that size, or you could call some of the "premier" glass tank builders like Miracles and a few others; not AGA, Oceanic and see what they would recommend....

xosux

I forgot that when it cracks it don't stop until it's all cracked. It will probably be better to just buy one since i can get it at Petland for $399 and it does use 1/2" like i priced first but is really expensive even for poor quality glass. I have only 1 local place to get plate glass so that don't help the price. I guess i'll stick with my current project list which is a coil denitrator and a calcium reactor. Thanks for all your help making up my mind guys.

ironeagle2006

Instead of doing a DIY tankbuild do what I did find a Petsmart near you and you can get an undrilled SORRY about that part 150 High which is the same demisions as what you want. for 449 includes the tank and Glass Versa tops and a strip light which is worthless. A reday made pine stand is 149 and canapy is IIRC another 150 Special order. Or your LFS may have the New series from Marineland that is 36 wide or can get you a price on one.