DIY 225 gal living room tank

StanM3

I was inquiring about if anyone has ever built there own stands. I have tried to find some article and/or directions although I am unable to find any. I am in the process of purchasing a 225 gal salt tank for my living room. The tank stand and canopy doesn't match the living room and was thinking about building one to our liking. Very nervous though that it might not be strong enough. Any suggestions would greatly helpout

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
If you have carpentry experience, it's not a tremendous task. Personally I would try to build no higher than 36 inches and with exception of the filtration access, use a 2x4 support every 18 inches as well as at least 2 cross supports in the top and bottom frames.

StanM3

Thank you. I do have carpentry experience and have also been checking out other ideas on various websites for ideas as well. Quick question, when you say cross supports would you go from front to back, and I was thinking about doing the cross supports every 18 inches as well. I had a previous 150 that my bulk heads leaked and I truly rushed getting the tank in the house. This time I am taking my time and making sure everything is correct and up to standards for the wife.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you'll do just fine. Front to back yes. Don't forget to leave yourself room for accessing your bulkheads easily.

StanM3

I have one more quick question for my upcoming build. What kind of wood would suggest. I was thinking of pine but read that to not use PF treated wood?

StanM3

So I am probably as bad if not worse then a women when it comes to things I want. The debate is buying a 225 from a local private person or save up for the dream 300 I have always wanted. Either way, we have discussed about building a stand for the 225 out of wood and I have found a template to build from. Although if I go with a 300 or larger (found a 375 brand new for $1000) would go with a steel stand or is wood still ok. Like I always have mentioned I would rather go over board for strength instead of being short and having a living room full of water.

Or it might just be easier and cheaper to just get a fish bowl for the kitchen counter!

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the means to do powder coated aluminum that would be awesome. I had a custom aluminum stand made for a 20 I have. It's made from leftover material of a wheelchair ramp. I've had it in use for 15 years and it's still like new! I've been through a few sets of door hinges though lol.