diy bulkheads

Has anyone made their own bulkheads? I'm thinking all you really need is a threaded pvc connection and an o-ring or gasket of some sort.

witecap4u

Yeah, used a male/male to go through the glass and a female/open(used to put PVC into) with a bathroom sink drain gasket in the tank, and a female/open with about 4" of pvc in it to connect the drain hose to. Just did it last night, so not sure how reliable it will be, but im going to try it. One problem is that the lip of the PVC fittings is really thin so it doesnt cover the oring too much.
CS

Jager,
I made bulkheads out of 3/4" plastic 'water-tight' electrical fuse box connectors. They look like grey sections of pvc pipe elbow with a thread and ring connector on one end. This is the end that I put through the tank. It comes with an o-ring, and I bought another one for the other side (probably not necessary). I found that of the two large national hardware stores in my area, one had something that might work, and the other had something that looked like it would work better. I siliconed the heck out of the fitting and no leaks so far. Very cheap. I used them to create a gravity outflow from my refugium to my sump. It is worth checking out next time you are at the hardware store. I used the ones from Home Depot, from the electrical, fuse box fitttings aisle.
Good Luck
-Christine
:)