Diy chiller help

I have been thinking about the same thing. I was thinkin along the lines of a freezer, but put my coils in a bucket of water, that has a powerhead moving it. The water would be real cold in the bucket and would not freeze due to the current. Then you could regulate the temp change on your tank with a ball valve, on how much water to let back into the main tank depending on the temp of the main tank. I think i might try it, someday.

kpk

I thought about the water in the coils in the bottom of the freezer, but y could you let the water freeze? I would think it would be ok except for the expansion of the water, you know?
And actually using stainless steel or titanium instread of the vinyl tubing.

I would love to use titianum on the coils, but if i were to do that, it would be cheaper to go by a chiller!!:D
the water would not freeze due to the powerhead IN the bucket. Water in motion will not freeze. it will be well below the 32 deg mark, but with enuf current it will not freeze.
The more i think about it, the more i want to try it......

crusinlow

how about if you create a coil out of using clear plastic tubing creating a circular motion thru out the inside of the freezer. Into the appliance by drilling a hole ,coiling inside,out thru a drilled hole . I been thinking sbout it myself, seems to be real feesable,and ran by a big enough power head.

requiem

A cheep chiller
depending on the temp of your tap water you could set up a small aquarium and put 100-200' of coils in there run water from the tap into the small aquarium and let it drain into the sink then run water through the coils this cooled my 300 gallon from 76 to 66 and I only ran 200-400 gallons of fresh water through there a day

adhoc

That would work but it's a terrible waste of fresh water and technically is illegal in many jurisdictions, for that very reason. Not that you'd be caught by a building inspector but...

thedogofwa

be careful using stainless. It's available in multiple grades. The best choice would probably be 300 series.