DIY Eductors

reef noob

these are some DIY Eductors i found there only $5 a piece to make.

here is a parts list and some instructions:
1x 1 1/2" REDUCER COUPLING
- 1 1/2" INLET
- 1 1/4" OUTLET
- SLIP JOINT
- MANUFACTURER: DURACRAFT PLASTICS
- MODEL: 28WK
- ITEM*: 25017
1x 1 1/2" FEMALE ADAPTER ABS-DWV
- MODEL: C5803
- ITEM*: 22765
1x 1 1/2" COUPLING ABS-DWV
- MODEL: C5801
- ITEM*: 22797
1x 1 1/2" X 3/4" BUSHING SPIGOT X FIPT
- MANUFACTURER: LASCO SCH 40
- MODEL: 438210RMC
- ITEM*: 22715
1x 1/2" BARB X 3/4" MALE THREAD NPT RISER FLEX ADAPTER
- MANUFACTURER: ORBIT Water Master
- MODEL: 37161
- ITEM*: 194541
1x 1" length of 1 1/2" ABS PVC (black) per Eductor.
p.s. item #'s are from lowes.

reef noob

TOOLS:
Small Hack Saw for PVC
Hand Drill
7/16 Drill Bit
1/2" Drill Bit
Step 1.-
You take the 1/2" BARB X 3/4" MALE THREAD NPT RISER FLEX ADAPTER and cut off the barb leaving only about 1/4" of it.
You take the 1/2" BARB X 3/4" MALE THREAD NPT RISER FLEX ADAPTER and attach it to the 1 1/2" X 3/4" BUSHING SPIGOT X FIPT adapter with the barb side going in first. Tighten the 1/2" Barb Adapter by hand until you can not tighten it anymore.
If this step is done correctly you should have about 1/2" of the 3/4" male thread from the 1/2" barb adapter sticking out of the 3/4" threaded side of the 1 1/2" X 3/4" BUSHING SPIGOT X FIPT adapter.
Now take a 7/16" Drill bit and enlarge the hole of the 1/2" BARB X 3/4" MALE THREAD NPT RISER FLEX ADAPTER to this size.
Step 2.-
Take the 1 1/2" COUPLING and attach the configuration made in Step 1 to one of the sides with PVC Glue.
Drill 8 x 1/2" evenly distributed holes 1/2" away from the lip on the opposite side of the 1 1/2" COUPLING.
Step 3.-
Take the 1 1/2" FEMALE ADAPTER and attach the 1" length of ABS PVC to the non-threaded side and glue it together. You must make sure the PVC pipe is pushed in all the way so you only have 1/4" from the 1" of 1 1/2" PVC sticking out after you put it together, if its too long, cut it down or sand it down so there is only 1/4" sticking out.
Step 4.-
Take the 1 1/2" REDUCER COUPLING, and remove the threaded ring and gasket that come with it and put them aside since they are not needed.
Take the configuration created on Step 3 with the threaded side up, take the 1 1/2" REDUCER COUPLING and attach them together with the

[hr]
side of the 1 1/2" REDUCER COUPLING going in first into the 1 1/2" FEMALE ADAPTER.
If done right, you should have the

[hr]
from the 1 1/2" REDUCER COUPLING and the 1/4" of extra 1 1/2" PVC on the same side of the 1 1/2" FEMALE ADAPTER
Step 5.-
Take the configuration that we made in Steps 1 & 2 attach it to the configuration that we made in Steps 3 & 4 by means of the 1/4" lip of 1 1/2" PVC tubing that we left extra and some PVC glue.
The 1/4" lip of black PVC that attaches both configurations together should have left the holes of the Eductor un-obstructed.
Step 6.-
You are finished! Use whatever PVC adapters are necessary to attach the eductors to your return outlets and see the difference in flow!
see pix below

tx reef

I did one of these a couple of weeks ago....I haven't hooked it up to see how it performs yet. Maybe I will do that this weekend......

grubsnaek

are they drain lines or return lines. and whats the concept. honestly this is the first time i ever seen an eductors.

grubsnaek

never mind i reread it, there for return lines. can this be used with a mag drive pump. i would think so.this really helps add extra flow rite at this thing.

reef noob

it goes on the return to increace flow
it doesnt actually increase the pump flow
it just works like a vacum to suck up water and blow it out

grubsnaek

a mag18. possibly might try to bribe you to make one for me for a frag tank im tryin to put together. that would work nicely on the SPS side of the tank.

grubsnaek

what type of corals are you going cause i see your sand in the video and its cleared from the front of tank. so the flow must be crazy strong. maybe even to strong for LPS and softies. to think about it, it might even be to strong for a frag tank. damn.

reef noob

how big is the frag tank?
for the mag 18 i would split the return and use 2
if the flow is to strong for your tank you could lenghten the abs (see pic)

grubsnaek

the frag tank will be 48x18x13. its a 50L. might still make two of them for my 125DT though. would only help.

salt210

would those sizes work on a mag12 too? want to try and increase flow but dont have a lot of money right now