DIY fuge cost?

rtrtlm

I am considering a fuge for my 46 gal bow. The lfs said they could set it up for around $400(all components included), and customize it for the space underneath my stand. Anyone who has built a fuge for a similar size tank I would like to know roughly what it cost. Or does the custom built at $400 seem reasonable. Thanks

infalable

I am doing a biy for less than $100. I am in the process of building it now. One advantage other than cost is that I am understanding the plumbing and other considerations more by doing it myself.

fender

If they are building it in acrylic and supplying a good overflow and return pump, that isn't too bad a price. You could probably DIY for about half that tho.

gatorcsm

I set up a fuge for a 110 for around 40... I used a mj1200 pump, the line for it and some pvc. I used a 28g rubbermade with pvc for bracing it against bowing and an overflow back to the sump. I put about 3 inches of sand in it... The just used some PCs I had laying around, but you could use any sort of light, or buy some grow lamps for greenhouses or whatever you can afford/find. Obviously, the more the better, to a point.
I don't know if it would be worth anywhere close to 400$

R

reefguard

I think that is a little steep. I am in the process of setting up a 100 gallon tank with I think is a 36-40 gallon sump/fyge combo. It is a use tank that I bought for $40 and then spent another 25 for some acrylic at HD (used only half of it) for baffles. I would say with lights sand and pump if you need one would only cost you around 150-200 dollars. JMO
Noel

temple2101

I am using a drilled 20gal tank, mag 7, DSB, and light that will cost no more than $150. DIY is the way to go!