DIY hanging kit?

rickross23

I am likely to get 2 radions for my tank..long story. My dad said I CAN'T drill into the ceiling and hang them since the tanks in the living room. What options are there for the radions? Are canopies hard to make? How much are they? What options do I have? Please help....

2quills

Depends on how creative you want to get as well as your know how and tools you need to get it done.

acrylic51

They want $180 for that rail.......
Hell I could drag my welder out and pull something out of the air a bit sleeker than that though......

2quills

A simple way to do it is just make a similar design out of wood painted to match the stand. You can hang or mount them from that. Wouldn't cost too much at all. Probably less than $40.

rickross23

What do you think I can do for custom? What do i need? As soon as I can get these lights is like August.....need money.

2quills

Wood, screws, glue, fastners and paint.
The cheapest way I could think of is 2 pieces of 2x4 in 8ft lengths, some 2-1/2" screws, small bottle of wood glue and a can of black spray paint...maybe $20-$25.
A little nicer look might be some 1x4 oak or pine boards laminated together to create the thickness of 2x4's. Glued and held together with finish nails. Sanded and painted.
This is how it could look if you used the hanging kits. But you could make some mounts for them as well.

2quills

The sketch did illustrate them with the hanging kit. But if you incorporated some brackets like on the ones that reef koi sells then you could mount them like the one that reef koi sells.

rickross23

so how much are we looking at in DIY hanging? 100$? my dad said he doesnt want to see drill holes in the ceiling 15 years from now....he needs some weaning i think.....
if i got the ecotech hanging fixture and decided to hang it, would i need 2 kits to hang 2 radions??

2quills

I think that $100 dollars is a good workable budget to make something that compliments the tank. But I really don't know what kind of tools or skills you have. The design above was just something really basic that just about anyone can do. Biggest trick would be making the miter cuts for the diagonal supports. If you can weld or drill holes you can make something out of metal or a combination of both. Or just make a canopy that the fixtures can sit on. It's your world!

rickross23

The lifts have wonderful reviews. I was amazed at them at my lfs. They 2 on a 4' cube. I want them SOO BAD. the cost and setup is the only thing weighing me down. The options are endless it seems with the updates ecotech gets and stuff. Will keep lookin...still don't know how I will hang them!!!