DIY Insump Skimmer V1.0

jasenhicks

Well, i got creative, and decided its time i tried my hand at A DIY Skimmer to go with my DIY Stand, Canopy, Plenum, RO/DI Tank, WetDry, and more. So here it is....
Initially the 3" PVC Contact Chanmber and Collection Cup. Both just cu, both 3" PVC

jasenhicks

Next I drilled 2 holes, 90 degress out from each other one low for the outlet, one midway up for the inlet... i used a 1" counterskinking bit (inlet/outlet pipes are 3/4") [My dog Kelso was supervising]

jasenhicks

Next I used a few 90deg bends and some 3/4" piping and "put it together" This is not the final way it was assembled due to the fact i just didnt like the inlet and outlet 180deg out from each other. That funky thing on the left or the return is a simple PVC pipe fixer for your sprinkler system. It moves up and down which will adjust water level in the skimmer. Only $3.50! The little yellow capped thing in the back is the future collection cup. THe skimmer base is a cheap peice of acrylic from HD. The top gooseneck for the foam to collect is a 3"-2" downstep.

jasenhicks

With the venturi from KENT in, and the pieces all glued and cured, i hooked it up to my quient one pump, and tried it out! The 1/4" tube coming out, is the air inlet on the venturi.

jasenhicks

I mentioned this was version 1.0 Why? Well the pump is too far away from the skimmer,because i put the inlet of the skimmer too low. Origianlly i was going to use a RIO pump with a built in venturi so the measurements were for that. I decided to use my extra quiet one after the fact. Also, Im going to make it much taller, and maybe out of 4" pvc, not sure yet. I want the Venturi to be vertical, and the pump to be right under it, not connected with some flexible hose. The return needs to be a bit taller too. I want it to send bubbles a bit higher into the gooseneck, i think the return being as tall as the chamber and the collection cup is the way to go. All in all though, if my sump was bigger this would go right in and make a helluva skimmer. And the price? Well it was $32 excluding the ventruri and pump. And i need to mention that with an extra $5 you can build 4 of them for that cost, PVC comes in 8ft lenghts and thats a lot of leftovers for more skimmers. Get with a buddy and build a few, one for you and one for him. Let me know what you all think of my skimmer. When i build 2.0 for actual use in my tank (the intended reason for 1.0) ill post a complete HOW-TO. I think its pretty self explanatory from the pics though.
Jasen