DIY LED build II

1snapple

Okay, I recently made a frag tank and finally got it all plumbed into the 95g display tank last weekend.
Now I need some lights for it and I think i am going to go w/ LEDs like my pico.
My idea is 2 MeanWell ELn-60-48D drivers, 1 blue 1 white.
Running:
7 Cool White
5 Neutral White
6 Royal blue
3 Blue
3 Green.
Or I may go with 1 Meanwell ELN-60-48D for the whites and a higher output driver for the Blues.
Ideas?

monsinour

Out of all that I have read, you are the only one who I have seen using green and red LEDs. I am sure others do it. If you are going to have basically 12 white and 12 colors, 2 drivers make perfect sense. As far as a higher output for the blue/colors, that makes sense too. Those LEDs will be worked 'harder' than the whites simply because of moonlight/evening. Having a driver capable of lasting loner is not a bad idea. Get a helmet and strap a camera to it and video everything you do from start to finish. Might make for a lengthy upload, but would be a tremendous help for all of those who are wanting to make a LED light system for their tank but are intimidated by the electronics of it all.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/384415/diy-led-build-ii#post_3367208
i would take out 2 neutral whites and put in 2 reds to add that extra spectrum
+1
I also agree with monsinour! Time for a helmet Snapple! LOL
Just a word of caution:
Many people who have tried LED's, especially DIY LED's are finding that over time the SPS is bleaching. These are usually people that do too many whites, don't spread them out enough and leave out other colors of the spectrum. I'd definitely throw some reds in.

nikesb

strange how you're finding people loosing colors with leds. many of the local hobbyists who have them have much greater colors in the same corals i have. the problem is many people are switching to led's without using par meters to see what their new numbers are.
Personally, i will be adding royal blue strips to my setup and remove some ati blue+ bulbs to replace with true actinics.

2quills

Too much white IMO. Why do you need a higher ouput driver for blue? What size is this frag tank?

1snapple

I am going to use 2 dimmable drivers,
Corey, bigger driver for more Blues, going to do like a 3:2 maybe even 2:1 ratio of Blue/ Green - White/ Red.
I will happily do a helmet cam but I need the camera.
Taking all helmet camera donations

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/384415/diy-led-build-ii#post_3367431
I am going to use 2 dimmable drivers,
Corey, bigger driver for more Blues, going to do like a 3:2 maybe even 2:1 ratio of Blue/ Green - White/ Red.
I will happily do a helmet cam but I need the camera.
Taking all helmet camera donations

Pawn shop?
So basically, you need a blue, white, green, red mix in your LEDs and blue being more prominant than the rest and so on down the line?

2quills

Oh, gotcha. Larger driver that will drive more than 12 leds. I was under the impression you wanted more mA, my bad. You could always duct tape your cell phone to your forehead!?!

monsinour

I still say go to the pawn shop. You will find amazing deals.
It makes no difference to me. I will say that all the DIY videos skip soo many steps OR are overly technical that it might scare people away. It would be nice to have a video done of your average Joe putting one together.