DIY LED lights?

shtank

Does anyone Know anything about LED. I work in collision repair and I have alot of LED tail lights out of wrecked cars. I plugged some some in and they are very bright. Does anyone know if these lights will work for corals.
55gal
70 lbs LR
20 sump

scsinet

For a fish only system, this would probably work fine.
For a reef system, it's not as much about brightness, it's about wavelength and PAR. Needless to say, car tail lights are not designed with the intention of growing corals. LEDs have a very narrow wavelength of light that they produce. You'll need to get the specs on the LEDs used in these tail lights and compare it to existing aquarium lighting to have an idea of whether it will work.
I can tell you that manufacturers who have done this before have spent lots of money on R&D perfecting LED technology that is useful to coral, so it will be a challenge working this out. I'm not saying it's impossible though.

shtank

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3020854
For a fish only system, this would probably work fine.
For a reef system, it's not as much about brightness, it's about wavelength and PAR. Needless to say, car tail lights are not designed with the intention of growing corals. LEDs have a very narrow wavelength of light that they produce. You'll need to get the specs on the LEDs used in these tail lights and compare it to existing aquarium lighting to have an idea of whether it will work.
I can tell you that manufacturers who have done this before have spent lots of money on R&D perfecting LED technology that is useful to coral, so it will be a challenge working this out. I'm not saying it's impossible though.
Thank you for the input It Will be hard to find the specs on tail lights but i 'll get started
Thanks