DIY Metal Halides

sonny

I am working on setting up my 135 gallon reef tank, and am planning the lighting system. I have decided to go with three 400 watt metal halides with two VHO actinics. I want to be able to keep the really colorful acroporas and other sps corals.
I found a core and coil MH ballast at a local electrical supply for $66 and I have ordered a 6500K lamp to make sure it works okay before I buy the rest of the ballasts and lamps. I just thought I'd share that I had found the ballast at a local store. That's really good because shipping a MH ballast can be expensive. If you want to try this, you have to ask for a metal halide ballast, and it is really do-it-yourself. I will have to make a box to house the ballasts, and I'm thinking about putting the ballasts in the attic to help with heat problems. I have read that the 400 watt MH ballasts can get to 180 degrees! I don't think I want that much heat INSIDE the house.
Sonny

M

missycoral

not only does that ballest run Hot but cost alot more to run might think it over to spend another 65 dollers to run 127 deg on 400 watt ballest as well as less energy pulling power will save on electic bill and in spending now for electronic ballest will save much more money even over ten month period 65 addional now or in three months time per ballest in electric bill just a thought for you. Ebalast- are very well worth it. run cooler less power check them out. goodluck, Missy

sonny

Actually, there is an article in the current Reef annual magazine that shows a chart about that. Yes, e-ballasts cost less to run, but the cost is not significant compared to the time it will take to re-coup the higher cost to purchase the e-ballast. The 400 watt e-ballast costs about $180. It will burn about 427 watts of power, compared to about 464 watts for the magnetic ballast. At that rate, it would take over 3 years to re-coup the cost for the e-ballast. I like the e-ballast, but right now I'm trying to get my tank up and running. I may add an e-ballast for the third MH and see if I can tell the difference. I'm considering running a 20,000K lamp in the center of the tank.
I don't know if the magnetic ballast can run the 20,000K lamp. More investigation to come.
Sonny

evilfett

Hi Sonny did you get your halide running? I'm thinking of a DIY setup too. Keep me posted! Thanks

sonny

This is a long term project. I have a 135 gallon fish-only tank I'm converting to a reef. Today I got a MH lamp in the mail to test it. I'm going to use 3 400 watt MH with 2 6foot VHO actinic. I think I'm going to have 2 6500K lamps and one 20,000K lamp eventually. The lamp I got today was a 6500K, and it is really huge! I hope to have the tank running by the end of the summer. The only thing in the tank now is a snowflake moray. I'm going to set him up a 30gallon tank and completely break down my other tank so I can get all of the stuff cleaned out good. I used some copper in the tank, so I am not planning on using any of the old rock decorations (looks like base rock). My next step will be to build a new stand for the tank, and then get a new overflow. I'm going with a CPR overflow. I'll let you know about the light though.
Sonny

sonny

I tested the new light last night, and it ROCKS! It is very bright, and very hot too! I'll have to get some good fans for the canopy. The 6500K lamp looks really nice though.
Sonny