DIY Moonlights

pacopetty

I have read several of the threads on here about this subject but I still have a few questions.
The transformer I have is 5.9V 350mA, is this strong enough?
The LEDs I am using are 3.8V 5mm 480nm 60 degree viewing angle.
What size transistors do I need? I have seen threads on here using everything from 33 ohm to 150 ohm.
I'll be using 24 gauge speaker wire.
Any help would be appreciated.
Andy

ohioreef

I need the current rating of your leds (the mA or the If rating) and I can tell you the resistor you will need. Also is the 3.8V the typical voltage or maximum voltage? I need the typical voltage.
If you email me I can send you the website that I'll use to determine the resistor if you'd rather do it yourself.
I just put my moonlights together tonight, unfortunately one the leds was bad and I have to send it back for a replacement. But I'm going to go ahead and install them with the ones I have. Should make for a beautiful sight when the lights go out!!
Where did you get your 480nm leds? Mine are 470nm but only have a 15 degree viewing angle.

robchuck

Andy,
Your transformer is powerful enough to power up to 10-12 LEDs (assuming that they would be wired in parallel with each LED drawing between 20-30mA). There are plenty of calculators available on the internet for determining the amount of resistance you would need to add, but you can also determine it with the following formula: R=(Vs - Vf)/lf. Basically, you would subtract the LED's forward voltage (3.8V as listed in your first post) from the supply voltage (5.9V), then divide that number by the mA that each LED draws (represented as 'lf' in the formula; typically somewhere between 20-30mA for a 5mm LED). The result gives you the amount of resistance needed for each LED.
How many LEDs do you plan on using?
Best of luck with your project!

pacopetty

Phipps- I'm a rookie electrician so I don't know the answer to your question. My buddy found the LEDs on the net but then discovered that we had to buy 500 to get them so thats not an option.
RobChuck- I was going to put 4 LEDs in my Canopy is that enough for my tank?
Radio Shack charges $3.99 per LED, is this too much?

ohioreef

Andy,
You can get them a lot cheaper online. I also was looking at getting the ones at RS but then found them cheaper elsewhere.
I was trying to set it up so you could email me from my profile, but apparently they don't allow that on this board. Send an email to scso33@hotmail.com and I can reply with more information for you.
Good luck!!
Gary

robchuck

4 LEDs should work fine over your tank. If you want to add more, your power supply would be able to handle 10-12 LEDs in parallel easily.

caillou

I have a 90 and turned on my moonlights for the first time last night. It is the coolest thing. I only put 2 in and it seems like plenty for me. I don't want to overlight the night time. They shimmer with the water movement on the surface. BTW you can use Cat 5 cable for them as well. Cat 5 is normally for telephone, computer etc. but carries the current just fine (provided you've stepped it down with the transformer) My brother made them and they are great!

ohioreef

I got mine put together last night and finally into my canopy today. I can't wait until tonight to be able to see them in total darkness. They look cool enough in a darkened room, can't imagine what they'll look like tonight.
For the people that have had them awhile, do you use them everynight or do you try to replicate the moon cycles? I have just a FOWLR aquarium so it probably doesn't really matter in my situation but I was curious whether it mattered in an aquarium with corals, etc.
Gary

steelgluer

Originally posted by pacopetty
Phipps- I'm a rookie electrician so I don't know the answer to your question. My buddy found the LEDs on the net but then discovered that we had to buy 500 to get them so thats not an option.
RobChuck- I was going to put 4 LEDs in my Canopy is that enough for my tank?
Radio Shack charges $3.99 per LED, is this too much?

If you want the 470 nm go here.
http://www.lsdiodes.com/5mm/
they are only .45 each. And its 2.00 for s/h