DIY Reflectors

kas2247

I have T5 lighting and was wondering if there is anything I can buy at Lowes that I could use for a DIY reflector for each bulb? I don't want to limit the reflectivity by getting cheap stuff, but I also know that things can be WAY cheaper if you DIY. Has anyone tried this?

f14peter

Haven't done it, but some very reflective sheet material (essentially bright chrome) is usually available at a larger arts & craft store (Such as the Michael's franchise). Don't know how it would stand up to any heat generated by a lamp, but it's pretty cheap and a test run would probably be pretty easy to conduct.

kas2247

Hmm... well I'm going to Lowes tomorrow, so maybe I'll see what I can find. I guess it couldn't hurt to try, right?!
Thanks for the reply!

Anybody else have any suggestions or experience w/this?

chipmaker

Unless the reflectors are made for T5's your not going to get the realbenefits out of the lights no matter how nice it may look. The one lfs here sold a heap of T5 lights and el cheapo reflectors made for other type tubes, and w hile it looke fine, it ws anot anywhere near as efficieint as it should have been. One person bought proper reflectors, and after a lot of bashing and tantalizing the shops owner that its a heck of a note to sell high end lights and cut corners on reflectors, he finally sprung the $$ for propper reflectors, and needless to say its like an entire new light system allover again. There is a diference in usuing the right reflectors......and not just a material or reflector for another type light.

kas2247

Ok, thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll make my own for a temporary fix right now, just for looks. It'll be a good while before I'm ready to keep any corals or anything, anyway.

bojik

Look up tek's single t5 reflectors they are some of the best there is (that i know of personally)