DIY refugium???

cboyfan2020

all you need is some glass panes(from HD...like 10$) a pump and a Overflow(either drilled or HOB) and some PVC. pretty simple. here is a pic of mine but I have a skimmer in it too

aftrhrs

If you want it to be real cheap use a rubbermaid container from wal-mart, cut your overflow hole in the side and pipe it into your sump or add a pump and circulate the water back to the main tank. Go to the LFS and buy some caulerpa add a heater and some sand, a piece or two of live rock and your done.

Kip, i dont have a main return pump...all i have for filtration is a bio-wheel mini hob filter...what i want to do is put a another 10 gallon tank to the side of my current tank and use it as a fuge...from what i understand i need one of the tanks lower or higher then the other..then i think i need to use a powerhead to pump water from my main tank to my fuge..or do i need a overflow box on the maintank and that will pump it back to the fuge? from there i will have a powerhead that pumps it back to the main tank...i havent really ever done anything like this so im a bit confused..its probably rather simple but i make it harder then it really is...i just want to start a fuge and would like the best way to do it

Without a sump, I would recomend setting the fuge higher than the display tank with a Hang-on-back type of overflow returning water to the display tank.
Use a powerhead in the display to supply the fuge. In case of power outage, the supply stops. The siphon from the fuge will halt, but still will be primed. When the power returns, the supply will begin filling the fuge to the overflow point and the siphon will resume.
If you do ith the other way ( powerhead in fuge, overflow on display) in the above mentioned power outage, The return will stop before the siphon is halted. The water level in the display tank will continue to feed the fuge until it reaches an equilibrium with the over flow. Without a sump, That means water on the floor. When the power returns, the powerhead pumps the fuge out to the tank.
Ideally, drilling and baffeling the tank would be the most attractive. Unfortunately, 10g tanks are made of tempered glass and thus is nearly impossible.
I personally have a total gravity system (no powerhead) of which I am very fond.

what type of over flow box would you recommend? and if have to go a couple of feet up and to the left to get to the fuge what kinda of power head would you recommend? and how many gph

ok thanks...it might just be personal prefernce but should i use pvc or a hose?
oh yeah..are there different sizes on overflows?

cboyfan2020

the drain size determines the amount of water a overflow can handle.... A 1" drain can handle about 700gph +/- 50gph.
Flexible hosing allows for more unconstricted flow as PVC requires elbows and such which cut down on gph. I think flexible hose can have algae growth and look pretty ugly though.

ok thanks for the tip on algae..im looking for overflow boxes online and all i can seem to find is amiracle prefilter overflow w/ siphone tube....oh and cpr's i can find those but nothing else..any place online you know of?