DIY sump questions

robn

I am seting up a 125gal tank.....it is not predrillled....I'd like to do a sump (maybe a fuge also) but have a few questions....I was looking into the CPR CS100 overflow box to get the water into the sump.
I looked into the CPR CY194 and still may get it. If I build one myself, does the intake tube need to be submerged in the sump water (in regards to siphon pressure) or does simple flowing into the sump from above keep the "vacuum"? What would be a good return pump? One that is adjustable would be great....I have a couple of Fluval 404's and a Rena XP2 from this tank (when it was freshwater)....can they be utilized safely in any of this? Does the whole skimmer sit in the sump or is there a tube in the sump feeding the skimmer?
If I wanted to do a refugium also, would it be better to go to a separate container? If so, how could that be done?
Are the CPR wet/dry/sump/skimmer products worth it or would it be better to do a DIY sump with a separate skimmer?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

For what its worth robn i would get my tank drilled. I have only heard people that were starting out that they had wished they had thier tanks drilled. If you need to get it drilled and no one does it up there let me know. I can tell you were you can get it drilled in San Angelo. I also wouldnt set up a wet dry system. I would spend the money on a really good skimmer like a Euro_reef. Then get yourself a really good rubber maid for your sump. :hilarious With the money you save you ought to be able to afford a really good rubber maid. If you need any help give me a shout sometime. my email is windman@cox.net im not very far from you.

robn

Hey, always great to hear from a fellow Texan....

This tank was a freshwater tank for about 5 years....broke it down this weekend and getting it ready for a saltwater tank. I don't know anybody that drills tanks here, I asked the guys at the LFS and they didn't know anyone either.....I've heard good things about the CPR overflow boxes though, so I may go with that if I don't get it drilled.
If I go with an 800gph overflow, what would be a good size and brand for the return pump?
I know this is a dumb question, but does the skimmer sit on the bottom of the sump or outside the sump with an intake tube? I have a skimmer on my 40gal but it's a Prizm Deluxe hang-on.
Thanks!!!

If it was a freshwater tank did you ever use copper in it? If you did you shouldnt use that tank as a saltwater tank. My skimmer does sit on the bottom. I know it would be a hassle to drive the tank to San Angelo to get it drilled but as a good friend of mine (Larry Jackson, check some thank you in some books on saltwater fish) "it is better to have the hassle now than to wait till you have water in it". the cost to get the tank drilled is only 10 bucks a hole 10 or 20 but i think 10. It really is worth it. I would go with a Iwaki pump Or maybe a t4 i have the little gaints are good pumps but the only thing is they are kinda loud. Oh some skimmers do sit outside the sump. Is your 125 long or is it a show (tall)?

robn

The dimensions of the tank are 72½ x 18½ x 21½. On the Oceanic site it has it as a SHOW.....it's a Nature View.
I never had to medicate this tank alot. I have a Salifert Copper test so I'll be sure to check that out.....I had to treat for ich once and used Quick-Cure (formaldehyde and malachite green). Now that I think about it, I may have used General Cure which has 13 mg of copper sulfate.....I don't remember if I ever used it or not...if I did it was several years ago. I'll test for Copper to be on the safe side.
I was looking into the Quiet One pumps, maybe the 3000...it pumps 780 gph with a 10ft head.
I saw an 18gal container at Lowe's that would work as a sump....I might plumb a straight connection from below the sump tank water level into another container and use the second container for a refugium. There would be a minimum of water movement in it so it wouldn't blow sand around everywhere and I could put some plants in it....just a thought.
So the EuroReef would just sit in the sump huh? Only problem with the EuroReef is the cost.....but this is such an expensive habit anyway, huh? After doing freshwater for about 8 years I never dreamed I could sink so much money into saltwater.....

robn

I notice that alot of people recommend the EuroReef skimmer..... what makes a skimmer a "good" skimmer, I suppose the amount of "crud" it skims?.....just wondering why a EuroReef is "better" than others? Not that I'm doubting it, and if it's the best way to go, I'll plunk down the money and get it....just curious as to why it may be better than most......

Originally posted by robn
I notice that alot of people recommend the EuroReef skimmer..... what makes a skimmer a "good" skimmer, I suppose the amount of "crud" it skims?.....just wondering why a EuroReef is "better" than others? Not that I'm doubting it, and if it's the best way to go, I'll plunk down the money and get it....just curious as to why it may be better than most......

Look at the "throat" on the euro_reef its really big which means it skimmers better than the others.The pump they use is also very good as well. I cant remeber if the quiet ones are in sump or plumbed inline. Remember you need inline we live in west texas and the last thing you want to do is add heat to the water. so that means no powerheads no in sump pumps at all they dump all thier heat right back in to the tank. Drop me a line I have a idea of where you can get a euro--reef cheaper
windman@cox.net

robn

I went home at lunch and decided to test my old freshwater tank to make sure there was no copper traces.....the tank is empty right now, so I put a gallon or so of tap water in it, waited 20 minutes or so, and then tested for Copper using a Salifert test kit. I tested down to .05 which is the lowest the Salifert tests for, no traces!!:jumping: :cheer:

pacopetty

Robn
For what you will pay for a CPR CY194 you can build one to the exact measurements you want for about 1/5 the price.
Check out melevsreef.com he can answer all your questions and has detailed plans for building your own sump or refugium.
And he lives in the DFW area of Texas.
Good luck,
Andy

robn

pacopetty,
What a great site, very informative! It helps when you have a picture or a diagram to illustrate the text....I added it as a bookmark, thanks!
I was looking at the EuroReef skimmers, particularly the CS6-1... some sites have it rated at 75 gal, some 100gal, some up to 200gal. Anybody using one and if so, would it work on my 125?

crash519

I'm picking up my tank from a place in Arlington that built and installed an internal overflow for my 58 gal. show and drilled the holes for the return and drain. IMO get it drilled. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the HOB overflows losing siphon and flooding the house. The CPR is notoriuos for it. If you have to go with a HOB overflow, go with a u-tube. Lifereef makes probably the best. FYI, for the price of the lifereef single outlet, I got the internal overflow and holes drilled:joy:
Also, with a 120 gal. you should shoot for around 1200 gph flow. You want to try and turn the tank over 10 times an hour if possible.
Good luck:happyfish

robn

I would appreciate a few recommendations on a skimmer. The clearance under my tank is about 24", so I will need a skimmer with a max height of 21" (gotta leave room to take the cap off).

B

bluedolphi

Robn,
I have a similar new tank. I am going to have mine drilled also.
Have you decided on a return pump yet?
I am looking at getting a T4, but read somewhere that 1200gph is not enough if you want a reef tank? The T4 is supposed to be near silent.
I am thinking about purchasing a sump off ----. Here is a link.
Pre drilled sump
Overflow sump
Anyway.... keep us posted. I have a 60x18x26. Sounds like we are looking for about the same set up.
I am pretty certain I will be having my tank drilled.
What lighting are you going to use?

robn

I'm going to build my own canopy and put in an MH/VHO retrofit. I will be going with 3 250W XM 10000K for the halides and 2 160W URI Actinic 03's for the VHO's.....that will give me 1070 watts total or 8.56 wpg ...
I'm still contemplating whether to do a sump/refugium under the tank or do an internal overflow.....advantages and disadvantages with each....with the internal I wouldn't have to construct as much, and most importantly, I wouldn't have to worry about flooding... with an external I would add much more water volume and it would be easier to have a refugium, plus I wouldn't be taking up tank space like an internal....the big problem though is flooding......
I've researched this until I'm tired of it.....maybe I should just flip a coin?
What would be a good overflow box if I decide to go that route?

B

bluedolphi

I am leaning towards (3) 250 watt Mh's. I can purchase the kit with lights and reflector for around $400.00 Then build the hood to hold these.
Having a little trouble finding someone to drill my tank. Hopefully I'll find someone so that I can order the Sump (25 gallon). The only guy around that is willing to do it, sounds a bit flakey.
I am looking at purchasing one of the Aqua C 180's for a skimmer. Probably with a mag pump. They are only 20" tall and I am limited somewhat on the height I can go with.
I am undecided on the pump. I am looking at either a Velocity T4 or perhaps one of the Pentair quite ones 5 or 6000.
Are we having fun yet?? :notsure:

johnnysalt

I'm in fort worth and need to get a 100g drilled in a few months. Where are some places to get it drilled? And for how much??
(Moderators: why can't we pm ppl?)

B

bluedolphi

I am really having difficulty finding someone to drill my tank.
Hmmmmmmmmm.... this may force me to go with an hob overflow. Not good.
Any luck Robn?