DIY sump questions

robn

No, I called around to a few places but didn't find anyone to drill it.
I went ahead and got an Amiracle overflow....I was going to get a Lifereef, but I talked to the guy who makes them and he won't be making another batch of them for a month or so and I need it before then. He told me to avoid the CPR's like the plague and to get the Amiracle, so I did. I will be making my own sump....I bought a Euroreef CS8-2 and a Mag 9 return pump. For powerheads I bought 2 of the Tunze 7300/2 with a 7091 controller and a Tunze Y-Adapter to be able to run both of them. I also got the Tunze photocell sensor, so when the lights go out the pump volume decreases. The 7300/2 pumps from 158-792 gph, so at full speed (plus the return from the sump at maybe 500 gph) I will have 2084 gph which is a 16.6 turnover ratio.
I got an RO/DI 110 gpd off ----.....
I bought 70 lbs of Tonga Vava'u Deepwater and 70 lbs of Tonga Eva live rock....should be here next Monday. I tried to find cheap sand at both Lowe's and Home Depot, but neither one carried any with aragonite, so I bought 90 lbs of Carib-Sea oolitic sand and 40 lbs of Carib-Sea Aragalive sand.
Haven't got my lights yet but I know what I'm going with....3 250W XM 10K MH with 2 160W URI 03 VHO's. I'm gonna build my own canopy. Gotta get the lights first and experiment with how far off the water line to go in regards to heat transfer. I'm already broke from all the other stuff I've bought this week, so I don't want to lay down any more green for a chiller.
Expensive habit, but fun.

robn

I was going to divide my sump into 4 sections: Section1 would be the input from the tank, Section2 would be the fuge, Section 3 the EuroReef and heater, and Section4 the return pump. Would it be better to swap positions with Section 2 and 3?

B

bluedolphi

Robn, you sound like you are doing exactly as I am.
I am afraid my tank is made up of all tempered glass. It looks to be a Perfecto, and I believe their larger tanks are made up of all tempered glass.
I was thinking about picking up the RO off ---- also. You will have to let me know how that works out for you. Did you get it with the holding tank?
I found a sump and overflow that has a similar style overflow as the Amiracle, also on ----.
I'll also look for your post on the live rock once you get it in. Would like to know how it looks.
You can get triple 250 watt MH with reflector and ballast for around $400. Let me know if you are paying more than that.
But if you are adding the VHO's likely you are up around $500 or so. Would like to compare your source on those.
Keep us posted.

B

bluedolphi

Oh.... also I have read that some feel it is better for the fuge if you have it before the skimmer. They felt there was too much of the "good" stuff being removed if the skimmer is in front of the fuge.

robn

BlueDolphi,
Yes, I got the 6-stage RO/DI with the holding tank.....should be here early next week.
Regarding the lights, here's what I'm getting:
Fans: TWO 4.5 inch
(3) MH_Ballast: 250W Advance (M58)
(1) VHO_Ballast: 2 Lamp ARO Model 4L
(3) MH_Bulb: 250W 10,000K XM
(3) Power_Cord: Grounded Power Cord
(1) Reflector: 72 Inch
(2) VHO_Bulb: 72 Inch URI 160W Super Actinic #10-72-03-V
I can't say where I'm getting it since it would be against the rules... if you think your "source" would be less than, oh, say $764.80 then please let me know!!!

krowleey

if your buying that from the powerseller on ----, all i can say is its a great hood and you shouldnt pay 500 more bucks for a sticker.

robn

I bought a 20gal long for a sump but I can't fit it under the tank. I thought I'd use 2 Rubbermaids and connect them with PVC. What should be the order of a sump/refugium?? Obviously the incoming water is first, then a baffle, then what?
Incoming/Baffle/Sump/Refugium/Return
Incoming/Baffle/Refugium/Sump/Return
Incoming/Baffle/Sump/Return/Refugium

B

bluedolphi

I would just make sure that you put any skimmer AFTER the refuge. Not sure about the rest.
I have read that the refugium should come before the skimmer.
The skimmer removes indiscriminately, good and bad organisms. So some feel it is better to have the refugium before the skimmer.

robn

How about this for a design? It involves 2 Rubbermaid containers connected with PVC pipe (I'd prefer 1 piece but I don't think I can fit it under the tank that way):