DIY tank stand

ninjamini

I want to make my own tank stand for a 65 or 70 gallon tank
. But I am afraid that I wont make it strong enough to support the weight of the tank. Anyone have plans that I can look at
? Anyone have ideas as to the construction? What should I expect for cost
I just don't want to spend $200-300 for a nice cherry wood stand

doobieman

I have built 4 stands 2 for me and 2 for a friend of mine, 3 55 gal and 1 29 gal.
all I did was biuld a 2x4 frame with 2 dividers in the middle and then wrapped it in 3/4" Oak plywood and stained it. I found no plans for this, I just biult them from my head, I will send you some pics later tonight. also it cost about $150.

misfit

You can also build it out of just 3/4 ply (oak,maple,ect) just make sure you clue up all your edges and use corner bracing,made my for my 210 with 3/4 oak ply.And to build my satnd and canopy cost me between 500 and 600.To do a 70 gal you will prob looking at 150 with canopy

dingo0722

I have build stands for 55,90, 135 and am currently finishing one for my 15. Its really not that hard to build. I highly recomend the oak laminated plywood that you can get at HD. A 4x8 sheet is only $50 and you can buy "handy panels", 2'x4' size for like $16. I use these for the sides and the middle supports of my stands. I frame off the front and back with solid oak, usually .75x4inch for 90 gallons and under and .75x6 for the larger tanks. I will be posting pics of my 15g stands progress tonight so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about.

1911_guy

I used 2x4's, which is WAY stronger than what most manufactured stands are made out of.
Think of all the equipment you want under your stand. I had to build my own cause my skimmer is 24" tall. Also, I cut holes in the top plywood for hoses from overflow and return. Holes for powercords, etc. Make sure that sucker is level before you fill your tank up!

harris28

I built mine out of 3/4 oak plywood and used metal corner bracket. Mine was for a 75 gal. I built the base to the same dimensions as the tank. The tank sits on the 3/4 edge, then I made molding to cover the framing of the tank. I also put molding around the bottom of the stand. So it looks like the tank sits down into the stand. I but one peice in the center on top of the stand to suport the bottom center brace of the tank. Then I made 2 raised door panel doors and stained it all cherry and applied 3 coats of poly.
I aslo built a canopy the using 3/4 oak and the remainder of the oak plywood. I framed the canopy with the oak plywood to sit around the edge of the tank. Then I put peices of wood on the inside to sit on the top of the tank. I used the real oak for the top and hinged it so a little less than half the top hinges. Staind and used 3 coats of poly on the outside and 5 coats on the inside. I might be a ver kill but I want to protect the wood.
In all I built the stand and canopy for about $125.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by Harris28
I built mine out of 3/4 oak plywood and used metal corner bracket. Mine was for a 75 gal. I built the base to the same dimensions as the tank. The tank sits on the 3/4 edge, then I made molding to cover the framing of the tank. I also put molding around the bottom of the stand. So it looks like the tank sits down into the stand. I but one peice in the center on top of the stand to suport the bottom center brace of the tank. Then I made 2 raised door panel doors and stained it all cherry and applied 3 coats of poly.
I aslo built a canopy the using 3/4 oak and the remainder of the oak plywood. I framed the canopy with the oak plywood to sit around the edge of the tank. Then I put peices of wood on the inside to sit on the top of the tank. I used the real oak for the top and hinged it so a little less than half the top hinges. Staind and used 3 coats of poly on the outside and 5 coats on the inside. I might be a ver kill but I want to protect the wood.
In all I built the stand and canopy for about $125.

Sounds nice How about a few pics of the tank and all that molding.

harris28

ninjamini,
Here are some pics. Remember that this is nothing spectacular but I do have the satisfaction I built it myself and di not pay $500 or more. This was my second wood project ever.

juddster

do a google search for garf there are very good plans for building a stand. you enter the size you need and it will customize one for you. good luck!

ninjamini

one more:

Harris, That stand looks great, what are you talking bout. That is exactly what I want to do. I even like the green walls and all the white molding. Looks great. Whats with the garbage can? Is that your sump?

harris28

No I did a water change and the trash can keeps my water. I was just lazy and have not moved the trash can back to the utility room. Thanks for the compliments.

ninjamini

No I did a water change and the trash can keeps my water. I was just lazy and have not moved the trash can back to the utility room. Thanks for the compliments.

Mix water...right. I forgot that some reefers do that. I buy my water from the LFS. I get the right amount I need for that week and its cheaper at $.50/gallon. Heck salt has gotten more expensive.

1911_guy

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Mix water...right. I forgot that some reefers do that. I buy my water from the LFS. I get the right amount I need for that week and its cheaper at $.50/gallon. Heck salt has gotten more expensive.
***** here in Anchorage sells premixed salt water for $1.00/gallon. I'm not sure if that's a deal or not. Not sure I would trust it anyway.

bigtyguyy

maybe kinda late but these pics may help! All the wood is screwed and glued together with construction glue. That tank above is pretty nice and the wood work looks great!

ninjamini

Originally Posted by bigtyguyy
maybe kinda late but these pics may help! All the wood is screwed and glued together with construction glue. That tank above is pretty nice and the wood work looks great!

Exactly what I was looking for. What did you do on the bottom joints?

bigtyguyy

the bottom looks the exact same... so everything is screwed and glued for extra strength. I have a 100gal 60 long 18 wide.. that stand is also 3 feet high. I hope these help you!

1911_guy

Sorry my pics didn't show what you needed, Bigtyguyy's stand is the same one I built...I used wood glue, screws and dowels. Have a 75G on it. I made my stand pretty tall to accomodate my 24" tall skimmer. The outside of my stand doesn't look as nice but serves same purpose-strength. The only thing I would change is cutting larger holes for the overflow and return lines to go through in the plywood (it's pretty tight fit for my 1" return line.

AND...the way I cut the wood(2x4), I wasn't exactly the professional at ensuring the lengths were EXACTLY the same. Some were just a little off but I think that little bit contributed to my tank not being level.
Good luck, hope this helps. Kevin