DIY wet/dry filters?

jclark

is it better to build your own wet/dry filter than buying one and if so whats the best way to build one

scsinet

It's funny you should mention this. I just finished building this filter pictured below on Tuesday night. The only thing I have left is to water test it (which it should pass), drill two bulkheads, and put the rest of the bio-balls in. It will be running a 100 gallon FO system.
Now, why it's funny is that I looked into a few things while I was waiting for a joint to set. By the time I finished buying, I had purchased:
(2) 2x4 foot sheets of .220 Acrylic $70 total
(2) 1.5" bulkheads $25 total
(5) gallons bio-balls $45 total
I already had the egg-crate, and I don't count the purchase of the table saw blade (50) and Weld-On (20 or so) as I can use those for other projects.
So that adds up to $140. Looking online at a few places, CPR Aquatic (whom I am a fan as I already own 2 of their filters and CSOs) filters with the same bio-media capacity cost almost most the same (167 at a "major online aquatic retailer").
I think I still did pretty good as I saved 27.00, and I have a huge sump with fuge section to go with it (the CPR1000 has a tiny sump), plus it's exactly the way I wanted it (fit the stand, was modular, etc). But, if your sole purpose is to save money, buy commerically. It looks like that stuff is overpriced, but it's really not.
If you want advice on how to joint Acrylic, work with it, etc, I'd suggest looking online. Nobody here is going to be able to provide you with an illustrated, comprehensive overview without referring you to a site anyway.
(Edit: Forgot the pic)

peter1215

I just built my own wet dry using a 29 gallon tank . Is this sufficient for a 120g tank? I am not currently setting up a fuge , just bioballs, and skimmer will go in the sump.

scsinet

For a 120 gallon tank, I'd estimate that you need somwhere around 4 gallons of bio-media, provided you intend on having a sand bed, 5 gallons for bare bottom, 3 gallons for FOWLR.
Keep in mind that all of this is assuming a FO system. If you are setting up a reef, you may not even need a wet/dry at all. The filter above that I built is for a FO system.
Is your sump and wet dry in the same tank? Forgive me if I am stating what's obvious to you, but your bio-media needs to be out of the water... I.E. not submerged. I don't know how you made your filter, but if you built both into the same tank, I am curious how you accomplished this.
For reference, there is currently 2 gallons of balls in the picture.

peter1215

In the 120g tank i have about 11/2 of sand and 25 of LR for now.(wil get more later on). In the wet dry , I have three sections (bioball, chemical , and sump for heaters ,pumps etc) and the bioballs will not be submeresd in the water. they're sittin on an eggcrate

bailey52

Yea to add what SCS said.. if you do decide to add LR, I would deff Scrap the Bio balls.. they can turn into a nitrate factory... which myself and many on here have had happen

acrylic51

Very Nice work SCSInet
. Really to answer the question if it's more cost effective really depends on if you can find commercially what your looking for that has what you want and fits the space you have? Usually what's out on the market doesn't fit exactly what we need, so that is where the DIY comes into play.....How handy are you, and do you have the tools to build? A table saw or router to cut the acrylic and the proper solvent and your almost home......Doing it yourself you can tailor it to fit the space you have and can incorporate any important features you think you might want or need.

sleasia

check out wet/dry plans (luke g) on this equipment threads and you will see two members pics of their diy wet drys made from simple sterlite containers bought at Target. they are simple, work great, but are a bit noisy but probably 60$ or so to build.

peter1215

i just finshed making my own wet dry out of a 29g tank this weekend. I only had to buy the acrylic and sheets and aquarium silicone. I already had and overflow box from an old amiracle so only spent about $40

acrylic51

Originally Posted by peter1215
i just finshed making my own wet dry out of a 29g tank this weekend. I only had to buy the acrylic and sheets and aquarium silicone. I already had and overflow box from an old amiracle so only spent about $40
Did you use silicone to glue your acrylic pieces together?

bailey52

hey Big.. the baffles on the left side the ones close to eachother.... are you going to put something in them.. if not.. what is their purpose?