dKH keeps dropping

oceanjumper

I (think I) understand the principles of dKH and calcium levels.
While my Ca level remains pretty constant at 400 ppm, my dKH keeps dropping. Almost 1 degree every three days. I use Reef Builder from Seachem to make up for it (a loaded teaspoon every 2-3 days).
Is this continuous dropping normal? I also have a hard time bringing it up to 9-10 dKH (and definitely keeping it there). I do regular water changes with RO/DI (5-10 gl every two weeks). Any thoughts, recommendations? Thx, Marc

oceanjumper

I just read Broomer5's post "Another way to look at calcium, alk and pH" in the Reef Tanks section.
Definitely a great post to read! Unfortunately, it does not elaborate on how fast levels can drop. Me, as a newbee, would still like to ask my questions above..... And if I'm doing the right thing...

broomer5

Hey Marc,
The way I understand it goes like this.
Calcium Ca+ will be used up as hard corals and coralline algae use it for skeleton formation.
CO3- carbonates will also be used up by the same living things.
If you don't have a lot of coralline or hard corals - once you get the calcium level established - it should remain fairly stable.
You may still need to add some form of calcium now and then - but for the most part it will line out.
Carbonates on the other hand ( alkalinity ) is the "buffer" components in the tankwater.
As fish and other creatures live, produce wastes and stuff - they add to the total acids that are in the tank. This stuff drives the pH down.
As CO2 gas is brought into the tank at air/water interface - it too can and will affect the alkalinity.
CO2 and water will produce carbonic acid H2CO3 - which can drive the ph down too.
But CO2 can also lead to formation of bicarbonates and ultimately carbonate. This can increase the buffering of the tank. But in doing so - it realeases H+ ions ( again causing the tankwater pH to drop ).
So ......... it's pretty common in tank with very few calcium demanding critters - for the calcium to be more stable.
On the other hand - as the pH is affected by fish, CO2 gas, formation of acids, changes in the carbonate/bicarbonate buffering - the alkalinity WILL drop for sure.
The rate at which it will drop will be different for each tank.
Some will drop quicker - some will drop slower.
The buffer capacity ( alkalinity meq/L or dKH ) gets used up as it "neutralizes" acids in the tank. Alkalinity will drop in a tank with fish.
So we gotta add something to keep it up there.
All depends on what's in the tank, how much CO2 is in the tank room, how much CO2 is in the water, temperature, calciim levels, and so on.
EVERYTHING - calcium, alkalinity and pH levels are linked together by what's happening with the CO2 gas, and each other.
It's a trip for sure.

oceanjumper

Broomer.... you're good.... If you weren't already a shark/mod, you would definitely get my vote!
You reply makes sense as far as my tank is concerned. My coralline algae started to take off but that's it for Ca-consumption. My pH seems fairly stable too (~8.2) but I guess it is due to the routine addition of Reef Builder. Well, I guess I have to be patient and see how the consumption rates evolve over time.
I am copying your posts to add (in the near future) to my website if you don't mind... :)
Thx