dKH thru the roof!

toadbaby

For the past few weeks I have been registering continually increasing dkh levels. Friday it tested at 15!!!! I even tested the RO water to make sure the test kit was not out of whack and it turned out fine. I had been adding Seachem reefbuilder but stopped about a month ago due to the higher levels(I had hit 11). I changed the water on friday - will run tests again tonight. what is causing the continued increases?? Is it a delayed effect from the reef builder? What harm can this cause?
FYI - 29 gal tank. ph low at 8.1, temp 79, calcium around 400 (I do add Seachem calcium), salinity at 1.023. I have a domino damsel, 2 clown fish, and another assorted damsel. Thanks! :eek: :eek:

toadbaby

Sorry I am so late getting back to this - it probably won't ever get noticed. Whenever I checked my post it did not show any replies! Anyhow, I use the tetra tests. I used the same test on fresh r/o water and it seems to read correctly?!

adrian

Has it come down since you first posted? A couple of water changes should help to balance out the levels. A dKH level of 11 is not high, some keep their at 14, mainly people with lots of sps coral, 15 is a tad high, but if your not adding anything it should come down with time. Tetra is not a bad test, though a salifert test would be more accurate. HTH