DLP v. LCD - another TV discussion

moraym

I know this topic seems to be talked to death, and I've searched and read some older aquarium posts on the topic, but it's always good to go back and revisit the issue since it's a large expense.
Just heard quoted on a radio ad:
42" LCD for $2600
52" DLP for $2800
This is in my price range, and I've been shopping around a bit, but I need to know what the store won't tell me. All I get in the store is the specs, and viewability from the sides, that sort of stuff. Not duration, burn-out, etc.
Anyone w/ experience?

tangman99

I posted a while back on this question and you probably read it so I won't rehash. All I can say is the best resource I found was avsforum.
I'm not quite sure what I want. They all have their pros and cons. Go to that forum read up on each technology, but keep in mind that each forum is partial to that forum. As I said before, don't go in the DLP forum and ask what is the best.

reefraff

The DLP is great if you want to play video games or watch channels with the crawler running accross the bottom because they don't burn in like typical projection or Plasma TV's. I have a Toshiba which replaced an HD Mitsubishi that was no slouch picture wise and the Tosh blows away the Bishi's pic.

moraym

Thanks all.
BUt what about duration?
Picture fading over how many years with certain technologies?
Replacing bulbs? How many years / cost?

C

crm13

DLP require bulb changes to be made roughly every 3-5 years (in terms of average number of hours per day)... but that's just a rough estimate. They go for somewhere around 2-300 bucks. DLP also has unmatched picture contrast... nothing else touches it right now. LCD is nice too... generally slimmer than DLP, and usually, the whites are "whiter." In terms of longevity, I would have to say that both units will probably last you until you crave getting into something new. No worries with either in that respect. Both are great for dvd, hd, games, ... both suck on standard resolution tv even with up conversion.

moraym

Originally posted by crm13
Both are great for dvd, hd, games, ... both suck on standard resolution tv even with up conversion.

Thank you so much for the info so far.
But seeing as I watch way too much TV and sports, could you provide any more details as to how bad the standard TV picture resolution really is. Is it at least an upgrade from my 32" sony trinitron? Or is the resolution on standard cable going to be worse than a standard television?

reefraff

I see no problem with the DLP watching standard picure, still looks good to me. You do have to train yourself to watch them though. There is a thing called the "rainbow effect" where some people see a slight rainbow if they move their eyes across the screen during dark scenes. I can make myself see it but nobody else here has.

moraym

reefraff, this may be a stupid question since I can just go to BestBuy myself and look for myself, but how are the viewing angles on the DLP from the sides? Do you need to be front-and-center to get a decent viewing angle?
I've looked before in best buy but sometimes quality of viewing at different angles changes in lighting diff than that of the superstore.
thanks again all.

C

crm13

Because of the resolution capability of HD sets, they have the ability to show flaws in picture quality for standard broadcast tv that you probably won't see in a standard tv. As mentioned, you do get used to it, and honestly, it's a small sacrafice considering everything else you'll love about it. Riffraff will probably agree, but off axis viewing is really good on a DLP set. LCD shares the same quality of off axis viewing. If you are comparing which set to go with between an lcd and a dlp, it really depends on the manufacturer. I have seen lcd that look better than dlp of one brand, and a dlp of a different brand look better than the lcd. Hands down, mitsubishi makes the best rear projection tv, always has... and that is true of dlp technology also. It's hard to compare pictures in a store because many of the tv's on display are mistuned or purposely mistuned to push the brand they want to sell. I have tuned and converged many sets. Mitsubishi is definitely where it's at in terms of performance and build quality. For a cheaper tv, samsung makes a decent set also. As far as lcd, they are all pretty good because there is much less variance in build design as far as those go. But, I think that sony makes a killer lcd set. Sony is also unmatched in flat tube design and performance but probably not in the size you are looking for.

reefraff

First off lets make sure we are talking oranges and oranges as far as LCD goes. LCD REAR PROJECTION TV's have the same burn in issues as any other rear projection set. LCD panel is a different animal.
As for DLP viewing angles it is very good side to side but vertically you will notice a difference at much less an angle so make sure you consider that when you look. you don't want to be a lot higher or lower than the screen when watching it.

C

crm13

:hilarious I couldn't find a comfortable seating position in anyone's living room that I ever set one up in that was a lot higher or a lot lower than the screen. Nonetheless, off axis viewing is excellent.

C

crm13

Oh, and I am gonna assume that we are talking about lcd rear projection, since the original post was talking about dlp vs. lcd both advertised for less than 3000 and the lcd was a 42." A 42" flat lcd is much more expensive. And the technology is not comparable. And, I believe that is the biggest size available in flat lcd. Although, I heard through the grapevine that mitsubishi was making one bigger than that, but not until next year.

tangman99

Hey crm13,
How would compare the Mitsubishi LCD and DLP with the Sony XBR 60" rear projection LCD? That is the TV that I have been looking at lately, but I know the quality of the Mitsubishis. That is why I spent the extra $800 on a Mitsubithi in 1995 for by 50" big screen. Unlike other big screen manufacturers, they used big guns and did not overdrive them. Most other brands lost 50% of their brightness in 5 years. My Mits was guaranteed to have 90% of it's brightness at 10 years. It has been 10 years now and it's as bright as ever. It's also been moved twice in the back of a pickup and I've never had a single problem with it or had to re-align the guns. I know Mitsubishi is usually the pioneer in TV technology, but I think that has changed a little in the past 5 years.

C

crm13

That's really cool. I remember those tv's too. They were great tv's for the time they were out. You never had to reconverge your picture after you moved it?:notsure: Even if you move a rear projection from room to room (especially back then), you usually have to realign the guns. Not a lot, but pull up the grid, and you'd see it. Usually you'd see it around white letters on a black background too. But, if not, hey, that's awesome. I would have to say the mits dlp has much better contrast, hands down, than the sony. But the sony picture is no slouch by any means. It is still a great picture. Unless you have them both tweaked and side by side, you really wouldn't be dissappointed by bringing either one home. Now, as far as the lcd, I don't believe that mitsubishi has a rear projection lcd right now, although, I do know that they are coming out with one soon (but sometimes you know how that goes). And, it's supposed to be a big one too. Their flat panel lcd's are nice, but not available in a "big screen" size. Comparing the a 60 inch to a 42 inch tv, the 42 will usaully win, obviously becuase the screen size is smaller. But, are you interested in a 60 inch size tv? I only ask because I think that it is better to match the screen size with reference to room size and seating distance than it is to settle for smaller because of picture difference. As far as the past five years, I think it's more that the technology used in tv's have advanced making it easier for even cheesy company's to make a better looking tv than any one company not blowing other company's away. I still think that mitsubishi makes the best rear projection set using any of the technology available not only in picture quality, but in build quality and overall design. Even upgradability. I can't wait to see what the new lcd is gonna be like.

tangman99

Thanks for the info. Also, I never had to adjust them after moving it. I would have thought so also, but they were always in alignment.
I'm not sure about the Mits having a projection LCD either. I have looked at the 62" DLP and it looks nice but I just asked about both.
If my wife's entertainment center she bought a year ago would allow, I would already own the 70" Sony LCD projections, but it won't fit so I've been looking at the 60". My boss just bought the Sony 50" inch XBR Plasma which sells for almost 10K and it is amazing.
I stuck trying to decide also. :thinking:

C

crm13

I don't know if this is a deciding factor, but you do have to replace the bulb in a dlp after about 3-5 years, roughly. They usually go for about 2-300 bucks. And yeah, that sony plasma is definitely awesome. I"ll tell ya, you can't go wrong with a sony tv of any kind really (except their entry level units). They too are excellent tv manufacturers. I wish I could say that about their audio equipment. :rolleyes: Some of the high end audio pieces are nice, though.

donahue

I dont really know that much about LCDS. However; I do own a 52 inch mitsubishi DLP. It has great picture on everything except tv. For some reason its picture is not that sharp when im watching tv, but i am told that when you get HDTV on it its amazing. it came standard with that. The bad thing about it is that it takes about 30 seconds to start up and it is slow while flipping through channels. Because of how the picture is powered it takes it a second or two for a new channel to show up. I believe this is the ordinary on all dlp's. Overall I would say get a dlp or if you have the cash a plasma. Ho
pe this helped